Author Topic: No dig method for potatoes  (Read 730 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
No dig method for potatoes
« on: March 28, 2008, 22:03:21 »
Anyone ever tried it? Just read about it in an organic book. You put a 6" layer of manure down then plant your taties in this then cover with straw then finally another 2" of manure. When the shoots pop up keep covering with manure and straw. What i'm wondering is would this clear the ground below of weeds? Think i'm going to try it on a small patch. It would be a lot of effort for nothing if it did'nt clear the ground.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: No dig method for potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 23:20:11 »
Would the manure not be feeding the weeds as it does the ground? Uncovered manure does develop weeds.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 23:30:49 »
I dont think its the what you cover the potatoes with its the action of covering them as they grown which is the key.

The straw i guess is being used as a weed surpressant.

I am trying my own no dig method which is to grow under black plastic which saves me having to keep adding soil and should help warm the soil.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 23:49:45 »
I use the no dig for potatoes Northener. The first year we made raised beds directly on the lawn. We covered the lawn bits in the beds with thick cardboard - soaked the card, then topped off with 8" to 10" of well rotted manure.

When I planted the potatoes (only a week or so later) I just moved the mulch to one side of where I was planting, cut a cross in the cardboard. Took the grass off the planting hole, dug a hole about 3" deep. Spud in, cover with soil, pull cardboard over and pull mulch back onto the cardboard.

Its an individual preference, I found the above method much more labour saving as I didnt have to keep earthing up with manure. Just throw some grass clippings on to help with moisture conservation and assist in reducing light levels.

It all depends what weeds you are trying to get rid of, perennials need to be dug out even in a no dig system. But you can quite happily cover annuals and lawn grass which will not survive this method of gardening.  :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 00:12:45 »
What I did one year was put a big sheet of shed lining paper (quite tough stuff) down, planted through it and then mulched heavily with grass as the potatoes grew. It worked alright and it was easy. You need a lot of grass cuttings though. I agree with star about the weeds. I'm going to do this again this year if I get sorted out some time soon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal