Author Topic: How do you tell?  (Read 799 times)

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
How do you tell?
« on: March 08, 2008, 17:45:03 »
We have just taken on an allotment and have been busy digging over.
 Was just wondering about whether there would be any problems with the soil etc. Is there an obvious sign of whether things like clubroot are on site or is it a case of just planting and seeing if there is a problem? 
   Also I don't want to make things worse but is it likely that if I plant veg that has been in that position the year before it will cause more problems. Obviously I don't know what has been planted where in the year before. I know where the runner beans have bean but thats all.

I hope that makes sense LOL

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: How do you tell?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 20:17:15 »
Ask your lottie neighbours on site, they might remember what was planted where, if not its pot luck most of us start from fresh, just remember rotate next year.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 20:29:26 »
If it was overgrown for some time your neighbours may not remember! In that case the soil has had a nice rest for several years, so some soil bourne problems may have fizzled out. Unfortunately, there are few that you can see when you dig, except perhaps eelworms that love potatoes. You will only find out if you have clubroot when you plant something from the brassica (cabbage) family, if clubroot is in the soil the plant roots are swollen and bobbly, and the plant fails to thrive. You can minimise the risk by liming the soil before you plant, and use more lime in the planting holes for any brassicas you plant. If you have White Rot that affects the allium (onion) family, it will manifest as white woolly mould around the bulbs..again, you won't know until you plant something..that one is nasty, you are supposed to wait 7 years before planting alliums in the same spot.

Work out a rotation plan so you are not going to be growing the same kinds of veg in the same place year after year, most people use a three or four year rotation at least, this will help minimise the risks of diseases building up in one area.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 20:33:12 »
Thanks cornykev that is what I thought, the only thing is all the plots surrounding me have been neglected and I haven't seen anyone yet :-\
  I wasn't sure if any of the nasty diseases or pests left any obvious signs.

Oh no, that white rot does it affect leeks.  We had some leeks on the plot which I pulled up yesterday one of them had what you described but it was half way up the leek.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 20:35:35 »
Leeks are in the allium family I'm afraid, so yes it can affect them. I haven't seen a case 'in the flesh', but I remember some pics being posted on here  a while ago...try serching for white rot in our archives.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal