Author Topic: Another leek question  (Read 1009 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Another leek question
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:16:35 »
I've got some leeks in the ground from last year but they look like seedings not very big smaller than a baby leek or I would use them.

Will they grow to nice big leeks?

Or shall I pull up? to make room for something else.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Another leek question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:26:53 »
I transplanted leeks into my site late last year and they never really grew down so the white bit is quite small and the leeks are just getting to baby leek size. I have been told to pack more soil around the leeks and up 1/2 the lenth of the leeks so it looks like there popping out of hills. I have been told that this will force them to grow more white bits and grow bigger.

I did this last week so will report back if it helps, but why not try yourself?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 16:43:06 »

Will they grow to nice big leeks?

Doubt it now what variety were they as some varieties are more suited to summer/autumn harvesting so if it this type I would certainly say they won't get any bigger.

Its too cold for them to be taking up any nutrients without which the won't develop.

If it were me I would eat them before they go leathery and slimy.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 18:38:32 »
I lost my first lot in the floods last year, sowed a new lot in June, and they're still baby leek size. Not surprising really. I'm going to throw them out and plant more next month. If you want a decent white bit on leeks, shove a dibber in as far as it will go, drop the leek in, and fill the hole with water. As long as the leaves are poking out of the top, it will be fine.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 19:49:48 »
I transplanted some late, the year before last. They never really grew so I ate baby leeks. They tasted fine. Here is the link:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,25504.0.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:47:22 »
Going to go to allotment and pull them up same goes for the savoy cabbage and decide what i'm planting there instead. May as well get the ground ready & have these for dinner.

Thanks for the advise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal