Author Topic: when to plant  (Read 3467 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: when to plant
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 11:18:46 »
Any chance to make it into a printable version, as the tables disappear when I tried to print it.

I see what you mean, I have also noticed another fault and that is I put the second lot of week numbers a line too high.

They were meant to be at the top of page two.

The latter is easily fixed the colour thing I am not so sure about (not being a IT techie)

I will follow it up and see what I can do.

What I have noticed is the pictures come out coloured but the the period boxes dont which seems strange.

By the way if there is anyone out there who is IT literate and can resolve this problem will they get in touch.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 11:30:38 »
TeeGee I used to design websites, I had a look at the code on the page.
Could help you out :)  Well try too :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 11:31:03 »
I very rarely do anything before March.I have learnt from experience that the constant nursing of too early sowing is a waste of time and leads to disappointment.I find this hard though as I am itching to get going.
The fact that I have to work on heavy clay does not help.I am slowly improving the soil but can not find the quantities of muck and compost that I need.
I tend to stick to the traditional growing year. ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 11:52:01 »
Fantastic? Wonderful!

Colours? Me too - but if you print screen & print, they are in colour. You may need a magifying glass!!

Shallots in December? Not in this house!!

Sowing/planting early to beat the gun? More work & worry for little gain?

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 12:03:01 »
Its the green background I meant :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:54 »
I very rarely do anything before March.I have learnt from experience that the constant nursing of too early sowing is a waste of time and leads to disappointment.I find this hard though as I am itching to get going.
The fact that I have to work on heavy clay does not help.I am slowly improving the soil but can not find the quantities of muck and compost that I need.
I tend to stick to the traditional growing year. ;D

Plenty of muck and mushroom compost here in Derby!

I have spent many a happy hour sorting out a planting calender for my plot. I kept the one I did last year to help me judge when things were started off a bit early (e.g the early sowings of banana shallots in early Feb, early March sowings did much better), or too late (celery, sown in late March, will now be sown in early March).

I agree it is really hard to sit on your hands at this time of the year, but as I only have an unheated greenhouse to bring seedlings on in, it makes no sense to sow too early.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 12:43:40 »
Shallots in December? Not in this house!!

Thought I had made a mistake Tim (I know I am prone too) ;)

Can you explain; The old grey matter is still a bit congealed at this time of year and this frosty weather hasn't helped ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 16:07:03 »
Each to their own, TG, but I never put mine in until mid-Feb. Haven't even taken delivery of my Jermor yet.

Even my January Garlic has done well in the past.

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 17:20:07 »
Thanks Tee Gee and everyone much help there.I shall deter from planting till well into March as my allotment neighbour advised (well April he said)

I guess no point in planting if they aint going to grow is there.

Anyway got Rudby be be watching for the next couple of weekends and it's a rush job getting down the allotment in the morning and then getting back into to open a beer and get prepared

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 17:21:20 »
Ah!! we might be at cross purposes hear!!

The ones indicated on my chart in January are seed. I am usually into April for setts, I have even known to be as late as May with these.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 10:28:43 »
A lot depends on which part of UK you are in too.The further north the later the season ..That old guy saying April is  probably about right ..If the land ain't warm enough stuff won't grow ..But we are chomping at the bit to set stuff so I think we all risk it a bit  :)
Cheers .. Jim

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:42 »
I have resolved how to print all the colours so depending upon what browser you use the procedure is a little different e.g.

In Firefox;   select print set up and tick print background colours

In IE;

Select 'Tools' (alt+T) >
Select Internet Options >
Select advanced >
Select settings >
Select printing >
Select print background colours and images by ticking box

To save press 'enter'

Hopefully you should now be able to print the background colours.

Edit;

I have altered the background colour on the page, the previous one was rather dark when printed.

For those of you who have bookmarked the page you may have to refresh it to see the new colour.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:31:24 by Tee Gee »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 13:00:40 »
We always plant out our potatoes on Good Friday too, but a German friend has this rule that they always plant out their potatoes on the 100th day of the new year.

I think sometime you have to go by your instincts because of the crazy weather conditions we sometimes experience, and areas can vary so much. I planted out my shallots in the middle of February last year, but I have yet to do them this year  because of the frost. Probably will plant the sets out in a couple of weeks time, and if the weather turns cold will cover them with fleece.

I think planting charts can only be guidelines and you should rely on common sense and what is happening in your area.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 13:10:40 »
For everything - when the soil is good & ready?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 13:19:55 »
Great chart, and thank you 8)....combining that with Tim's "good and ready" comment are excellent guidelines. Still sitting on my hands here - shan't be carrot sowing yet :o

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 13:56:34 »
I agree as I mention on my website;

A few words of advice when using the information on this site;

"Let common sense prevail"

For example, it is not imperative to carry out any task/s detailed here, simply because it says you should.

If the weather or soil conditions are not in a fit state to carry out the task/s, then delay the timing until such times as they are.

I'm sure you agree!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 13:56:51 »
Many thanks TG  - printed (and waterproofed)  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal