Author Topic: Wellies or Boots  (Read 2719 times)

vicstar

• Not So New ...
Wellies or Boots
« on: February 10, 2008, 11:09:03 »
I know i know all i do is ask but i was jsut wondering what attire people wore when working on lottie, Shoes , boots steel toe caps Wellies.
I know when i worked in a factory we have steel top capped wellies and just wondering if my mum still has them at hers and weather to get them

And for all the women reading i have largish boobs and wanted to know should i wear a normal bra or a sports bra a normal one will give my good support but sports will be more comfortable with all the bending and digging.

Goodbye until i think of another question.   ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Wellies or Boots
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 11:52:47 »
I would recommend lace-up boots as these give much more support to the ankles than wellies. Steel toecaps are a definite advantage if you are like me and enjoy kicking things.

I also recommend using black ink to write posts. That way people other than yourself can read them without modification.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:00:22 »
I have a pair of German army boots purchased from an army surplus store about 15 years ago!
They are lace up boots, and surprisingly comfortable.

They are also caked in mud, and in a plastic bag in the boot of my car - I must go and get them out!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 13:29:41 »
If you have a stream next to the plot like I have, then you need welies, at least sitting in the shed. There have been many occasions when I've needed to jump in. Another consideration is how wet the place gets. Boots would be fine for me in dry weather, but I've got so used to wellies I never wear anything else.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 14:06:41 »
Wellies in the winter and when it is wet, and then some walking boots during the rest of the year.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 14:08:05 »
Steel toe capped lace up boots with a steel midsole bought for £15.99 from Lidls last year and when poslished and waxed, look as good as new.  The Steel midsole is really good for digging.  My last pair of wellies bout for about £10 only lasted one and half seasons before splitting.  My boots are so much more comfortable.  I think for the same comfort level from wellies, I would have to invest in a pair of Hunters and I ain't pretentious enough for Hunter (I don't shoot pheasants either ;D)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 14:08:45 »
And in reply to Tin Shed - my walking boots were far to expensive to use up the plot. :o

vicstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 14:19:42 »
Sorry about adding colours on post just playing about.  and thank you all boots it is

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 14:30:46 »
Wellies bang against the back of my legs when I walk so Boots everytime. :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 14:38:16 »
Redclanger - don't panic -  got my walking boot type boots from Aldi - not real proper walking boots for serious walking.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 15:16:06 »
I wear wellies most of the time when it's winter. I've got an old pair of walking boots I wear for strimming. I just wear trainers in summer when I'm not digging.

I wear a sports bra when working at the allotment (No! Not on it's own!).

Did anyone else find the orange a hard colour to read?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 15:25:11 »
I would suggest a good pair of stout boots when you are doing any digging, other than that a pair of wellies, it is common sense don't go down to the lotty in five inch stilettos :)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 15:31:29 »
Sandals most of the year then whatever shoes I have on when I go out in, for the winter.

Bra's,  whatever you are most comfortable in.

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 20:28:45 »
I got my walking boots from the missus,

reminds me i must go back one day?

mrf94

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 21:22:23 »
Bit late i know,  but walking boots and sports bra

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 22:00:33 »
As my partner will vouch, that is my favourite look - on her I might add ;D

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 22:05:34 »
I think you would all cringe lol.. but I garden in flip flops... !!!!  ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 22:18:28 »
I used to wear sandals in the summer until one day I spotted some very fresh rat's droppings........tend to wear some sort of shoes now!!!!!!

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 22:41:59 »
Used to wear wellies, until I had to have toe cap boots for a horticultural course. Now I don't wear anything else, sun or rain, summer or winter, garden or lottie.

The boots are much more solid, much better for pushing that fork/spade into the ground, they give more ankle support and their warmer (wellies used to freeze my toes off).

I since chucked the wellies away.

Would always recommend a minimun of a full shoe, just to cover the feet. There's all sorts of stuff in/on the ground - dog/fox/badger/rat...crap, nettles, manure. Open sandals are an invitation to cut your self (maybe even with yuor own fork), and instant infection. I wouldn't take the risk.

As for bra's ... Don't wear one, just jiggle/flash your bits around, watch the men come over for a better look and get them to dig the plot for you. Sorted.

Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

vicstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 09:20:31 »
Thanks for the advice Baaaaa but wouldnt want to cause and health problems all alittle mature guys over here

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal