Author Topic: Nice Start to the Year - Not!  (Read 4187 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Nice Start to the Year - Not!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 13:13:54 »
If its been there for 40 years its hardly a new object in the community and you could argue that the fact its been there so long means there is an inherant understanding that this is adopted.

arphamoe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 20:37:38 »
Saw a bit on BBC East tonight about some plots in Peterborough that are to be built on! Seems that most of the plots are unused, so its not surprising the land is being made available. Apparently some provision is being made for a smaller number of plots for those that want them, but its another sign of the problems facing sites where there is insufficient interest.
Dont let it happen near you!
The Peterborough City Council website gives a very persuasive account of the consultations etc., but I know how easy it is for politicians to 'big up' any pet proposal - if we allow any chink, the b******s will pour through. >:( >:( >:( :( :(

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 14:06:09 »
Thanks Jeannine - I've just signed too!

richardsmith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 17:00:27 »
Hi Borderbabe
I am sorry to hear about the threat to your allotments.
Over the years there have been countless cases where Local Planning Authories in joint venture with large developers have chosen to sell off valuable allotment sites and it will depend greatly on your individual circumstances.

The aquisition of allotment land is a very complex one and you need to be prepared for a long and painful fight with the Local Authority(if they own the land) and you will need expert legal advice from someone who is familiar with allotment law.

The National Association of Allotment Holders is a good start and they will give you the basic information where and how to go about it, they are very experienced with disposal of allotment sites but they have lost consideral sums of money in recent years trying to help local allotment associations so they may be reluctant to help you directly with financial assistance.

My best advice to you is to get in early, don't delay, and lodge your objections with the Secretary of State well before the decision to dispose of the land is determined.

Having said that a word of caution I can tell you from bitter experience as an honarary life time member of the Littlecoates Allotment Association in Grimsby, approach your campaign with caution and do your homework.

All Local Authorities have delegated powers and they will use every trick in the book to evict you.......be prepared it will not be easy and you are unlikely to suceed unless there are covanants in the deeds of the land which prevent change of use........check at your local land registry office for details.

In 1996 North East Lincolnshire put forward a proposal to dispose of half our allotment site to build 330 houses as part of a larger scheme to build on an adjacent land - fill site called Macauley Lane.

We fought for over 5 years to thwart the £20 million scheme which finally ended up in the Courts. It cost the Littlecoates Allotment Association nearly £25k in legal fees with a further donation from the National Association of £6K.We lost the case and was a land mark case, hence the reason why the National Associatiion will give you advice but unlikely to support your case financially.

I would be happy to give you any advice I can but the Macauley Lane debacle exhausted me mentally nad I would not be prepared to go any further than that.
If you care to e-mail me at sales@heatie-wheatie.co.uk I will e-mail my telepnone number and you can contact me if you wish.
Regards

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 17:26:57 »
Saw a bit on BBC East tonight about some plots in Peterborough that are to be built on!

I had two plots and 15 year ago they kicked everyone off because they wanted to build on it. Only a dozen or so were taken out of a 100. To this very day they've not been touched or even seen a brick. I surely hope it's those your talking about as I don't want to be kicked off yet another two plots now I've spent the last year de-grassing them.

There are 72 plots on my site and 70 of them are taken. The other two only just recently been given up before Christmas. Plus the allotment manager is a pretty formidable women. The site was suppose to close year before last and she saved it. Part of the reason is joining an affiliated allotment association.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

arphamoe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 18:39:59 »
Re the Redbridge Allotments in danger, just had an e-mail from HMG with the response to the Petition to the Prime Minister!
Lots of Government-speak but my reading of it might give a bit of comfort - only if the Council can show there is no need will they be given the Secretary of State's permission. Time to concentrate efforts!!
You can read it all on www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15239.asp

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal