Author Topic: Birdies & cats  (Read 3540 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Birdies & cats
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:13:58 »
Got one of those shepherds hook bird feeding thingies. Anyway, hubby was in the shed when he heard a some wings fluttering and a miaow - he looked out and there was the cat half way up the whatsit with a sparrow in its mouth. The thingy has been moved to a safer place - the sparrows are happy again.

I think it was the same cat that caught a blackbird by my runner beans last year, and some rodent things as well.

THe blackbirds are not shy creatures on my plot - could stand a yard away watching one eat a slug that my hubby had dissed with a spade. The sparrows also would be eating the birdfood from a feeder while I was working in the plot. There was a blue tit as well feeding away. The sparrows' favorite foods are the suet coated peanuts and the suet feast blocks.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:Birdies & cats
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 11:28:17 »
Hi Multiveg

We have a metal feeder hanger thing and I have to ensure that there is little foliage around it because otherwise my cat can hide and catch unsuspecting birdies. In our case the hanging feeders are ok, but the birds that go for the leftovers on the ground are more susceptable - ie, robin, blackbirds and pigeons. Luckily our cat is old and fairly naff at catching birds now days.

Have you thought of putting a bell around your cat's neck? It might drive the cat mental for a while but it would warn the birds it was coming!!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 11:48:00 »
Not my cat! I don't even think the cat actually lives in a house that borders the allotments - it must have quite a large territory!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:23:06 »
Oops! Sorry! How high is the feeder? It sounds as though you might have to make it a bit higher - and with a crook that is difficult!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 16:37:13 »
Still it could be a good idea to put a bell around it's neck. But can you catch it?
::)                  :-\
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 16:40:21 by William O »
Happy Gardening

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 19:53:27 »
Try smearing Vaseline on the pole.  It works on squirrels and provides hours of fun for human observers!

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 19:58:18 »
Trying to put vasiline on the cat could also be entertaining for human observers .... 8)
Happy Gardening

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 20:22:09 »
Hi, Multiveg
Have you a hose up at your allotment? A quick squirt to the cat's rear end should teach it a lesson!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 08:50:21 »
I like both vaseline suggestions!!!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 11:13:21 »
Trying to put vasiline on the cat could also be entertaining for human observers .... 8)

Ha ha ha ha ha LOLOL.  I like that.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 19:32:24 »
What is good is a pump action  water pistol,but I would not try putting a collar on a cat that climbs unless it is quick release,as it can get caught on branches and slowly strangle the cat.

I would not give much hope for your invulnerability if you try to collar an unknown cat!!
Toots ;D

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 19:39:50 »
Maybe clip its nails first.... ;D
Happy Gardening

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 20:18:22 »
A French manicure perhaps? ;)  ;)

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 20:23:37 »
Hmmm,more like a cat straight-jacket,muzzle and halitosis shield! :o

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 21:06:16 »
Hmmm,more like a cat straight-jacket,muzzle and halitosis shield! :o

I'm sorry but I keep getting an image of a kitty in Silence of the Lambs style restraint. ;D

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004, 21:25:43 »
Tweety bird don't worry,

Help is on its way

The first link seems to have gone dead, It had a picture of a mouse biting the tail of a cat. Here's something else

Sorry Val  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 09:11:24 by William O »
Happy Gardening

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 07:07:01 »
Well TR,I can see the affinity,but I assure you cats do NOT like fava beans.Toots :o

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 08:38:13 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal