Author Topic: New Allotment  (Read 5813 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: New Allotment
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 20:18:22 »
Cheers Lauren,
                       Can't wait on the cards is a polly tunnel. I hope when I put my first spade into this allotment that I don't have the same luck I had years ago when I ended up with thirtysix wasp stings in mi back :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 09:35:15 »
Go for it Smudger, hope the weather's OK for you today the suns out here in N. London, hope you've got some of the same, happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 10:02:19 »
It's been a litttle bit wet up here in the east Mids over nigh tand it looks like another load is coming, I've just given my mates -pro-strimmer a rev up ready for the rubbish which needs removing  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 10:07:21 »
hope it's better weather there than it is here, we're supposed to be going to the plot tomorrow and they're giving torrential rain and wind  ::) ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 14:51:11 »
I was at the lottie this morning, it was a pleasant morning with the sun out untill about 1 o clock, the winds had dropped, last night I thought the windows were going to blow in. The ground was muddy but I did a bit of turning the ground and weeding and pulled a few parsnips.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 16:24:38 »
I'm off to pick mi rotovator up tomorrow which I bought of E-bay ,it best work because I'm timed served on 'Gardners :-X'

digger46

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 19:58:31 »
HI   MR  SMITH   GOOD LUCK  MATE  WITH  YOUR ROTAVATOR , HOPE IT WORKS   O K,   IM  DIGGINGING  MY TWO  PLOTS  BY  FORK  AND BOTH  FULL OF WEEDS  AND  RUBISH.   ALL THE BEST   FROM  DIGGER46.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 20:04:34 »
hiya, digger, welcome to the site..how're you getting on, digging them..this weather doesn't help, hope it's drier where you are..monday and tuesday are the next, supposedly, dry days here  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 11:35:31 »
At long last I have finally received the tenancy agreement from the council, I have also had my rotovator serviced and it runs like a trooper £62 off e-bay. :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 13:54:50 »
I have also had my rotovator serviced and it runs like a trooper £62 off e-bay. :)

Beast that rotovator to the max.  What a bargain!  ;)   Enjoy :)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

richardsmith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 15:50:04 »
FROM ONE SMITH TO ANOTHER...........WE ARE A COMMON LOT!!
WITH REGARDS TO YOUR NEW ALLOTMENT I AGREE TOTALLY WITH HECTARE.
THIS BUSINESS OF DOUBLE DIGGING BY HAND REALLY BAFFLES ME.
THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO TACKLE A NEW ALLOTMENT THAT HAS NOT HAD MUCH TLC IN THE PAST.
THERE IS THE HARD WAY AND AN EASY WAY.
I LEARNT VERY QUICKLY AND IF YOU BEAR IN MIND FARMERS DO NOT HAND DIG THEIR FIELDS AT THE END OF THE GROWING SEASON, THEY USE MECHANISATION TO SORT THE PROBLEM OUT TO BURY STUBBLE AND PREPARE THE GROUND TO OVER WINTER SO THE FROST BREAKS DOWN THE SOIL.
IF YOU WANT TO PHYSICALLY PUNISH YOURSELF AND ENJOY THE EFFORT OF DIGGING BY HAND THEN FEEL FREE TO DO IT BUT PERSONALLY IT IS 100 TIMES EASIER TO HIRE/BUY A SUITABLE ROTAVATER WHICH WILL DO THE JOB ADMIRABLY AND WILL ALLOW YOU TIME TO GET THE TEAPOT OUT AND HAVE A CHAT WITH YOUR FELLOW ALLOTMENT HOLDERS AT THE END OF THE DAY WITHOUT FEELING COMPLETELY CREAM CRACKERED.
BEST OF LUCK.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 16:05:50 »
Hi Richard and welcome to A4A  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 17:08:39 »
Hi Richard. Did you know that capitals are the forum equivalent of SHOUTING!
Does anyone else like digging? I love it, and find it a great way of shifting the podge acquired over the Winter. Come Summertime I'm as fit as a fiddle.

Once your soil's in good nick, even heavy clays can be forked over in no time, and there's no beating that glow of satisfaction when you're done.

The only times I rotavate are when new land is to be broken, or when time is short. Not that I'm knocking rotavators mind, each to their own.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 18:05:04 »
I'm a digger too!
 ;D

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 18:12:07 »
Hi Richard. Did you know that capitals are the forum equivalent of SHOUTING!
Does anyone else like digging? I love it, and find it a great way of shifting the podge acquired over the Winter. Come Summertime I'm as fit as a fiddle.

Once your soil's in good nick, even heavy clays can be forked over in no time, and there's no beating that glow of satisfaction when you're done.

The only times I rotavate are when new land is to be broken, or when time is short. Not that I'm knocking rotavators mind, each to their own.

I don't mind digging at all, but to get a new site going quickly, I suspect a rotavator is the only way to go. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 22:54:35 »
I try to minimise digging, as if I routinely dig the clean areas, I never get round to the  unclean ones which really need the weeds got out.

richardsmith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 21:50:54 »
Hi to Rob the Rate
My apologies if I offended you with the capitals but my eye sight is not that good these days and I am still getting use the system as a newbie so hopefully with a little more practice I will not offend you in the future..............I suppose we all have to learn sometime and practice does make perfect.
Far be it for me to shout, I was merely trying to convey what I thought was perhaps sound advice based on my 20 years as an allotment holder.
Regards and happy digging.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 22:01:04 »
hiya, richard, welcome to the site, I know how you feel, my eyesight's getting fuzzy..happy digging  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 19:55:53 »
I had planned since November that I would start to dig my new allotment this very week because I'm off work all week, and what happens I go down with a virus and I feel like the poo that you put on the allotment :'(

digger46

• Not So New ...
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 19:59:21 »
HI   MANICSCOUSERS    been  round  lottie  most  days  and nearly  finished both plots  now,  sorry  took so long to reply  hope you had  a  nice  christmas  WEATHER  not to bad  down  here   in  GILLINGHAM KENT  bit of snow  yesterday .                                                                                                                        P S,  HAPPY  NEW YEAR                                                                  FROM  DIGGER 46.                                                   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal