Author Topic: Winding up for winter  (Read 2539 times)

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
Winding up for winter
« on: October 06, 2007, 21:08:25 »
Hello all. I made my first pond early this year its raised and 4ft by 5ft wide and 3 1/2 to 4ft deep.

All I want to know is how to look after my pond and its fish in the winter so any tips are welcome.

When do I stop feeding my fish and do I turn my pump off or leave it on through winter.

Also now I have the bug I've been thinking of extending it another 5 ft when is the best time to do it
now or in the spring. I have it at the side of my patio and its great to look at it while I'm chilling in the summer sun. Thanks a lot for any advice.

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
Re: Winding up for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 22:48:11 »
Mark, I usually stop feeding my fish on 5th November. Its an easy date to remember. As for the pump, mine runs a filter with a UV light. I keep the pump running all year but turn off the UV light, October. I don't believe there is enough sunshine to warrant it during the winter months
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Re: Winding up for winter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 13:02:41 »
I'm feeding my fish wheatgerm and will continue until the water temp reaches 7c then stop (worked well last year).  The pump is always on but I move it off the bottom so as not to disturb the 'warmer' water where the fish overwinter I too switch off the UV light.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal