Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882706 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2420 on: May 19, 2009, 16:45:22 »
Potted on two cucumber plants, I wanted to plant them out at the weekend but the winds have been sooo strong I didn't bother, are these winds ever going to stop, is it me or are the winds getting worse every year.  :-\    :'(        :(       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2421 on: May 19, 2009, 16:59:57 »
Nah Kev it's all that corn you eat love ;D,. Went up to the plot and tied the sweet peas in. Took the net off them. Came home and worked in the garden. There are more weeds in our garden than there are on the 2 lotties. Planted up  troughs around the pool to deter the heron and planted an acer.I really don't enjoy the garden as much as the plot.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 17:04:56 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2422 on: May 19, 2009, 17:03:31 »
Not the artichokes you lot up north are blowing down Shirl.    :'(      ;D ;D ;D  :-*

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2423 on: May 19, 2009, 17:05:31 »
I'm not in the North me laddo
                             I want em saying

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2424 on: May 19, 2009, 17:14:20 »
Sowed Runner Beans, french Beans, endive, chicory, winter Brassicas (Tundra, Purple Cape, Savoys)... watered all the stuff in the big Greenhouse...  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2425 on: May 19, 2009, 17:14:53 »
North of Brum is north to me, then again so is north of Watford.  :P     ;D ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2426 on: May 19, 2009, 17:59:08 »
Oh bless, I used to think that when I lived in sowf London..... ;D

Didn't feel up to doing anything in the garden or plot today.......boo hoo :'(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2427 on: May 19, 2009, 18:00:07 »
Even OH has decided to go to the Cinema rather than out in the rain tonight..
Hope you are feeling better...  :)

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #2428 on: May 19, 2009, 18:17:00 »
Netted the redcurrants  ::).  Tied in the raspberry canes (not before time!).  Hoed and weeded for a bit before the first shower (for this read downpour) rained me off.
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2429 on: May 20, 2009, 01:06:59 »
planted out my chitted sweet corn into the allocated bed and covered with plastic to help keep the temp up. This was after i prepared the bed and covered it for a few days to encourage the soil temp to stay warm during the last rainy windy spell. this is an experiment to see if i could eliminate the faffing of pots and 3 week planting out time.

also planted out my outside tomatoes with some basil which have 2L bottle cloches and erected my outside tomato cover finished at 21:37, there was just enough light to see my way inside. but the flash in the picture makes it look completely dark.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2430 on: May 20, 2009, 20:31:29 »
Took my friend Heather and her 2-year old grandson Ivor to see the site and my plot.  Ivor watered the spinach and I firkled a fair sized first early potato (Colette) for him to have with his dinner. Later went down there again and planted out some lettuce "Marcord" grown in coir pellets under a cloche, and a couple of courgette plants - "Goldie" and "Nero di Milano" - in between my climbing beans. Also put a couple of squashes - Butternut and Sweety Lightning - near the beans. Watered. Strimmed long grass on a neighbour's plot. Loads more to do before going off on a choir tour of Finland and Estonia on Saturday.
Keep Calm and Carry On

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2431 on: May 20, 2009, 20:56:03 »
Someone on the lottie had left me a tub of lettuces on my plot, so I planted out a dozen in between my French beans, did a bit of weeding and watered.  ;D ;D ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2432 on: May 20, 2009, 21:39:24 »
Blimey, what a coincidence, I was offered lettuce this week, told it was going to be left on my plot but hasn't turned up yet.  You are so lucky not only got my lettuce but also my free seeds. I think another allotment holder goes to a nursery and it is buy one get one free, so he distributes lettuce around.  Don't really want it as food for pigeons and am off to France on Sunday so no time to net/plant.  Nick gave me a sweet corn cob with strict instructions on how to plant it and also some courgettes seeds.  Felt a bit guilty when I recycled the sweet corn as already had mine planted.  He has planted about 80 lettuces, most of which the pigeons are eating, but as he is my friend, he will probably give me some.  I come back from the allotment loaded with lovely produce that people have given me and lie to OH that I have grown it, but he doesn't believe me.  Had three men last year giving me marrows, they said you don't want his marrows, mine are bigger and better.  Hopefully this year I will be able to give something away, but when I gave Margaret (my old lady) some beans and courgettes she was most upset as she said she wanted to give me some but as she was getting old mine had grown better than hers and she didn't like it. Off on my rambling holiday on Sunday to France and don't you dare say I am rambling too much on here.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2433 on: May 21, 2009, 00:01:35 »
planted out all my beans; runners, borlotti and french - climbing and dwarf.

also planted out my second set of lettuces and some chard.

some flowes were also planted out a companion plansts.

built and positioned a little mini 'hot/ green house' for my sweet peppers and aubergines.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2434 on: May 21, 2009, 18:24:57 »
Planted up my flower bed in the project garden, Filled it with dahlia's this year in front of a sweet pea hazel frame. Planted out the courgettes, weeded the garlic. Trimmed path edges.
                             I want em saying

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2435 on: May 21, 2009, 18:34:27 »
planted the rest of the squash out, planted out the barlottis, lots of african marigolds and ordinary marigolds..weeded lots, picked some spuds, onions that had gone to seed, lettuce, radish and spring onions  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #2436 on: May 21, 2009, 19:26:02 »
Borlotti, that can't be bad three men offering you their big marrows, maybe I'll get a similiar offer with melons this year,  :P :P :P  , sorry I was day dreaming for a minute there, I emptied my home compost and mixed the three dalek bins I have on the go, weeded and watered.  ;D ;D ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #2437 on: May 21, 2009, 20:38:47 »
i planted out my sweet peppers and aubergines with some french marigolds into my newly built mini 'hot/ greenhouse'. planted out my cucumbers, potted on the ochro and moved them into the greenhouse now that there is space emerging.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2438 on: May 21, 2009, 22:22:06 »
Watered and weeded.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2439 on: May 21, 2009, 23:06:45 »
That is a true story, had them all standing in a row and had to judge, comment on the size of their marrows.  Very embarrassing and the fourth one only had a courgette.  Had to take the marrows home in relays as they were so big and stuffed them at home. Today I watered quite a lot, chopped down a lot of mares tail, talked to the allotment cat who has gone blind in one eye.  Had a walk around next door's allotment (lady has left and given me permission), amazed to see how more overgrown it has got in 2/3 weeks.  Looked at Joe Swift's allotment and think he has almost more mares tail than me, know he is at Chelsea Flower Show, but he really needs to get up to his allotment when possible and do some weeding.  Sprayed pear tree as it doesn't look too healthy.  All the pears dropped off last year. No-one much up there to talk to so went home.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal