Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 894528 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2260 on: April 23, 2009, 20:56:59 »
Nuts, still haven't dug up those runners....  :-[

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2261 on: April 24, 2009, 17:54:46 »
transplanted fielderkraut cabbage, romanesco and fillbasket sprouts, Ray earthed up the spuds in the tunnel with newspaper, I weeded the pea and turnip bed, planted out lots of sunflowers in to the squash bed, transplanted lots of alyssum and lobelia for the plant sale, re-arranged all the plants outside, the lads put a support up to hang the baskets out for the sale  ;D

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2262 on: April 24, 2009, 18:27:27 »
I re transplanted my young bay leaf tree to another spot took most of the leaves off so as to encourage root growth and so when the new growth comes can train around a pole in order to have a curvy trunk as its in the mifddle of the front of my garden as a sort of centre peice when it gets a bit bigger about 5 years from now also planted a shrub my neighbour was going to throw away didnt know what it was when i asked him he said it had big flowers and thats all he can remember has no leaves on at all as he had it in a pot cut it back hard from what i can see it was pot bound as well as when he gave it me looked a little dry so soaked it over night and dug in some manure with it will sit back now and wait for the surprise , there is young shoots comming one or two only   

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2263 on: April 24, 2009, 19:58:32 »
Deeply planted a few early runners and sowed some more peas.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2264 on: April 25, 2009, 10:32:08 »
Watered the plants and roughly dug over another section of soil.

It was like digging concrete as our site is full of clay, but just keep digging and adding compost is what i am told by the experienced lottie holders.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #2265 on: April 25, 2009, 13:38:05 »
Potted up 5 bare root hostas that I got from Home Bargains for 2 or 3 quid. Look nice and healthy, and just starting to shoot.  And they came in a lovely thick green paper bag that I can't bear to get rid of, but have no idea what to use for.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #2266 on: April 25, 2009, 13:41:08 »
And am now being pestered by younger daughter to sow the Dig In seeds we got this week.  Sent her on a seed tray hunt.  :)

Her class was asked to take in plastic trays this week so that they could sow seeds in class.  I think she she was the only one to take in a propagator, complete with lid.  :)  And she looked down on the cress that other children were sowing.  Considered them beneath her superior gardening experience. She chose peas.  ;D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2267 on: April 25, 2009, 18:00:22 »
planted beans outside, Tony's had his in for 2 weeks and they're doing fine, got more growing as insurance..planted sweetcorn in the polytunnel..planted unknown onions, forgot to label them, could be long red florence..planted up hanging baskets and troughs that people had dropped off, made 140.00 for the plant sale  today  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2268 on: April 25, 2009, 18:35:03 »
Weeded and tied in the sweet peas. sowed some salad leaves and hoed. Tony half made the structure for the chrysanths
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2269 on: April 25, 2009, 19:31:39 »
Went down for the first time for over a week and found the weeds taking over- dandelion, bindweed, couch, buttercup and others whose names I don't know, all shooting up everywhere. So spent most of the time weeding instead of planting brassicas as planned, although I did get a few peas and a couple of globe artichokes in and spread some manure. Felt a bit overwhelmed as I am not likely to get there so often now that I'm working full time. :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2270 on: April 25, 2009, 22:04:43 »
Dug. Unfortunately I'm a bit limited in that area due to my back, and I couldn't do that much without setting myself up for problems.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2271 on: April 26, 2009, 15:26:16 »
tied in the beans, watered everywhere, planted lettuce, planted a squash under fleece to see how it goes, planted cauliflower out, checked all the fruit trees, priced up hanging baskets and pots  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2272 on: April 26, 2009, 16:34:56 »
pricked out some brassicus seedlings and amaranth seedlings. potted up some basil and cucumber plants hot work in the greenhouse :-[. helped hubby trim the hedge before the birds ear mark it for their home as last year we couldn't do anything to the hedge till august.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2273 on: April 26, 2009, 17:28:35 »
I've sowed Red Cabbage, Cauli AYR, and Carrots in a toy tub, all direct. Earthed up spuds, emptied some lovely compost out of my dalek and started another one and mixed the others and given the lottie a good watering, so much for the rain predicted this weekend I've got bloody sunburn.  8)     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

buzzy bee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2274 on: April 26, 2009, 17:38:55 »
Hi

More couch grass removal, did another half bag full, the full bag is now too heavy for me to lift, so will have to get help to move it when it comes to disposal time.

I have now done about 4 m squared, 1 spit deep!!  hehe

Cheers

Dave

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2275 on: April 26, 2009, 18:18:05 »
Today I mostly weeded my tattie, asparagus & onion / garlic plants - they were well in need of it after the warmth & wetness this week  ::). OH did a bit of digging but then cleared the pile of old logs / bramble stems that are on the next bit we'll tackle. There was a wasp nest in that bit last autumn so thought we'd move the pile before anything else set up home for the season :)

bjude9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2276 on: April 26, 2009, 18:27:18 »
Earthed up my early spuds, planted out some sweetpeas and peas (show perfection and purple podded) and picked some more psb, then went home and mowed the grass!  :D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2277 on: April 26, 2009, 18:35:47 »
Cleared out the Hippo bag that I had used as my first compost heap (it was in the shed and I hadn't collected any pallets yet) into one of the pallet bins, used said hippo bag as a load liner in my camper to go and get some free topsoil (which I will earth up my potatos that are planted through weed mulch fabric) and did a small bit of digging of new ground and getting the couch roots out of it.....I have a pet rule, whenever I go to the allotment, even if I only get fifteen minutes to do it I dig and de-root a bit..... also ran the hoe around my onions..... have now got Welsh, Kelsae, Rjionsburger, Aisla Craig, Long Red Florence and Egyptian Tree in.... apart from the ratehr sad garlic the only other thing that is out is a few broad beans, half a dozen Jeruslalem artichokes, some Oca from a seedswap and the inherited fruit bushes (which turn out to be mostly gooseberries, yum!)..... Mostly today and yesterday  I have been making the marquee sized panels for my new lightshow structure ..... needs to be ready for a festival in mid May and I'm starting to panic.... at least I now seem to have got the knack of sewing with the ancient (but tough as old boots ) Singer that I bought on ebay a few weeks ago./.....

chrisc

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2278 on: April 26, 2009, 19:10:32 »
Tony put the bean canes up and I swung on em to make sure they were strong enough. Watered,had a chat, bought some canes from the lottie shop, had another chat, dug the paths either side of the sweet peas and strawed it. had another chat.Weeded and strawed the strawberries. all in all agood day.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #2279 on: April 26, 2009, 19:25:24 »
Perfect Sunday morning really, planted out the next lot of peas from their guttering sowing, planted the Welsh Onions Saddad sent me (thanks again!) put in a row of cabbages my neighbour gave me having sown to many (yet again!) dug up a bucket load of bindweed roots (yet again!) had a cup of tea and chat with the neighbours and the morning had flown by.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal