Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 737 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Pumpkins
« on: July 17, 2007, 22:06:20 »
The pumpkins [Jaspee de Vendee]in my three sisters bed are taking over the world - well my plot and aiming for the one next door and producing lots of fruit. I am new to pumpkin growing - do I need to pinch out the growing tips once enough fruit is produced?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 22:44:41 »
You can, or what I do is change the growths direction by poking a bamboo in the ground to redirect the stem.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:51:07 »
Can I borrow one... mine are doing nothing, apart from a bit of breaststroke...
 ::)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 17:22:46 »
Breaststroke ;D
I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune just your witty description....mine are taking after my 17 year old son....just having a rest!!
Actually some of my dinky little plants that have only two little leaves after 6 weeks keep trying to flower....I keep removing them as that would really finish them off. My site has a slight slope with a hollow at the bottom and the ones at the bottom are growing well now with big leaves....the ones at the top are more exposed to the weather and not looking good despite attempts to shelter them.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 18:23:23 »
At the rate they are growing they will reach you anyway, Saddad! I might try and find the growing tip  - if you don't hear from me for a couple of days I will have got lost in the punpkin jungle!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal