Author Topic: Pickled onions?  (Read 8178 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Pickled onions?
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 16:22:44 »
OH warms the vinegar but only to dissolve the sugar she says... sorry for the delay in replying but everybody else has done the business!
 ;D

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 22:24:59 »
my dad has always just peeled them and put them in jars of pickling vinegar and they are lush

Sounds good to me!

chris, are these spring onions? is that how 'silverskin pickled onions' are made?

Nope not spring onions...these are Paris Silver Skin onions.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 22:41:43 »
I cover mine in salt overnight.  The next day I gently warm up chosen vinegar, and I use alsorts for different tastes - balsamic is great, so is cider vinegar, add whatever spices I fancy, along with some sugar and a few dried chillis, then once the sugar has dissolved I leave the vinegar to one side to go cold.  Rinse and dry the shallots, pack into sterile jars tightly and cover completely with the vinegar and spice mix.  Seal, label and store in a cool dark place.  We open ours after a month as we don't like them to vinegary.  I don't like vinegar in it's raw state, can only take it in home made chutneys and home made pickles.  I have my first jar ready  and have shallots drying, hoping they will store until the end of October so I can make a jar or 3 for Christmas.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 22:45:52 »
I use the paris silverskin onions. Skin them, cover in dry salt for a couple of days, rinse quickly off, allow to dry then put them in jars and cover in hot, spiced vinegar. Dead easy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal