Author Topic: What Variety?  (Read 1026 times)

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
What Variety?
« on: June 01, 2007, 13:15:14 »
Can anyone suggest what variety of sweet corn I might be growing?  The clue is in the leaves.  They are darkish green with mauve edges.  I know they are a very old variety.  Someone gave me a cob and said to have a go and I have just noticed the corn I planted on Saturday has just germinated, so feeling excited but would like to know what it is called.

The person that gave me the cob has gone away on holiday otherwise I would phone them.

Thank you if you can make any suggestions.
Chloe:)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What Variety?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 16:49:27 »
Are the leaf margins always purple or has it got a bit cold?
 :-\

Chloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 17:38:05 »
LOL, no, not cold, they are always like it and I was told some people grow them for their decorative leaves.

I've noticed another one has germinated so if they are successful I will be able to add a photo in the autumn :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 18:03:19 »
There are sevaral varieties of corn that sound like your description, most are ornamental and some are used for flour,rarely for eating as corn,however it is not popular in the UK and although I could give you a list of names , most would have had to be shipped from the US. If it is this type of corn of then I would hazard a guess at Bloody Butcher which is available here.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Chloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 18:16:59 »
Thanks Jeannie for that but am sure it's not Bloody Butcher.  If I heard the name I think I might remember what I was told.

I remember being told that it was something to do with a woman that it was named after and they had visted her home, this country, and that's where they got the cob from.  So I just presumed that it was a Heritage variety.  Maybe she had come from America and had brought it with her.

Guess I will have to wait and find out the name when the person gets back from holiday, or do a mystery grow:)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal