Author Topic: cat-facing tom's?!!  (Read 1652 times)

oubykh

• Half Acre
cat-facing tom's?!!
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:41:15 »
i am growing tomatoes varitey 'Nyagous'. i just looked it up as i couldn't remember what type of plant it was (Indeterminate) and the info also mentioned 'cat-facing'???? what is this??? kinda glad i wont be getting it i think ;D

80 days, Indeterminate. Another very rare black tomato variety from Russia. This variety was originally introduced to the United States from the collection of the famous tomato enthusiast, Reinhard Kraft of Germany. Of late it has become one of the more highly sought after Russian tomatoes by tomato lovers. Producing wonderful globe shaped tomatoes in small clusters of 3 to 6 tomatoes each. The tomatoes have a very smooth, round shape which makes this an ideal tomato for market growers. Unlike many other black tomatoes, it is much less prone to cracking or cat-facing. The tomatoes are typically a dusky-red color (but lighter and darker variations do exist, ranging from typical red to a near black with an em
erald green interior) with meaty flesh and possess a sweet, aromatic taste.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: cat-facing tom's?!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:34 »
Here is a quote from the RHS re growing tomatos:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0706/tomatoproblems.asp

"Tomatoes need warmth and will not thrive at temperatures of below 12°C. Although it is easy in summer to keep temperatures raised in glasshouses, outdoor tomatoes may still require fleece or other additional protection in June.

Often tomatoes curl their leaves up in response to cool night temperatures. This is perfectly natural and is, in itself, not a problem. However it can be an indication that night temperatures are falling too low, leading to disorders such as ‘catfacing’.

Catfacing, where fruits develop corky scars and holes, is also due to fluctuating temperatures during flower set and tends to occur early in the season."

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:49:53 by quizzical1 »
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 10:05:58 »
It`s not a term I have come across-although some `heritage` types are a bit puckered and wrinkly at the base,but that would be cat`s bum I suppose :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 18:41:30 »
Cleo you surprise me, is this perhaps a US term as it isa very common one there.

I would describe it as  like a spider web of light brown scarring on the fruits skin, particularly more so on the shoulders ,some varieties are more resistant than others,can be caused by stress to the plant during blossom time, excess ammonia in fertiliser  can do it, but it is usually very high or very low temeratures.

Nyagous by the way is one of my favourite tomatoes, it is a very smooth lovely looking tom with a superb taste. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 22:34:30 »
thanks for the info guys  :)

yes Jeannine i heard they were a particularly good tom and i cannot wait for it to fruit up.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal