Author Topic: newbie  (Read 1442 times)

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« on: April 28, 2007, 00:04:57 »
my wife and i aredue to get a pen which we can keep livestock on. having never done this before and clueless about it we are wondering if anyone can give us any tips. we are looking to keep some chickens and two goats for now. questions are    what kind of chickens should we get as we want good layers. should we get them a chicks or fully grown. how many should we get. what breed are the best layers. where should we buy them from as we live in blackburn in lancashire. as regards to the goats do you generally get a lot of milk from them. are they worth the hastle, are they hard to keep. we have had an allotment for 4 years now and this is our next step up. also, i try to be organic with the plot, is it hard to be organic with livestock and does it cost a lot more money.any tips would be appreciated. these questions may seem daft but we all have to start somewhere. also, are there any good books, magazines or websitesd to advise us.    thanks in advance for any replies    weedgrower
takes over your life doesn't it

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:31:16 »
I think my sister used to get a pint or so of milk a day from her goats. She had half a dozen, and we got loads of milk for the family. Don't forget the meat as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal