Author Topic: Blackcurrant problem  (Read 741 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Blackcurrant problem
« on: April 11, 2007, 23:24:27 »
My blackcurrant bushes are coming into bud but there is a strange reddish river looking mark on a couple of the leaves.  A fellow plotholder said to spray them with a bug killer, so asked hubby to get me a spray for the blackcurrants when he was in town today and he came back with Py Spray.  It's says on the label that it's fine for flowers, fruit and veg, but on the back that it's dangerous for the environment!  Can anyone give me advice on this product - or what I should use instead, please?
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Blackcurrant problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 23:32:48 »
Probably currant blister aphid - I get this sometimes, shows about now and is caused by a particular type of aphid. I don't spray with anything, just pick off the leaves as soon as I see them. Have loads of bushes and it hasn't caused any great harm over the years.
The spray you've bought will work too.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 23:39:47 »
I'd rather pick off the leaves, if it does no harm, in that case. If it really takes a hold I suppose I'll have to resort to spraying. Thanks for your advice.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 19:34:18 »
ours were absolutely covered with aphids, the ants were running around, herding them ..I'm afraid I zapped them with derris dust, all the leaves( and there were only a few) were curled up and gong crispy so..!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal