Author Topic: Labels  (Read 3382 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Labels
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 18:58:03 »
SharpiesXX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 19:14:32 »
Thanks, will look out for those.

Good Gourd2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 21:40:53 »
I cut up milk containers to strips about  1" x6" then I write on them in  thick permenant marker, saves keep putting the specs on.  You say the small ones  are liable not to stand up to life on the lotty, only when you`ve lost one and then the next year there it is just laying on the top of the bit you`ve just hoed  looking untidy so then you have to walk across the bit that you`ve just done to retrieve it. then what do you do with it? I find them all the time is my back pockets thats if I`m lucky once or twice they have gummed up the washing machine. You can`t win.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 00:24:10 »
I buy the white 6 inch labels.  I also use wooden stakes that the old boy chops down for me from bits of wood I 'acquire'.  Handy for the big things like spuds, beans and peas.  Can write nice big words on them!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 00:32:11 »
visited the golden arches recently and walked out with a large bag with about 50 wooden sticks used for stiring tea.

There a little thin but there fab...

Tried using plastic from milk bottels and dispite using a perminant marker watering has washed away the text!!  :'(

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 00:41:12 »
Im still using the HUGE pile of plant lables I got from working for Rapitest many years ago & a combination of permanent marker meant for labelling CDs that Ive "borrowed" from my husband & a labelling machine, depending on how organised I am....they seem to have done ok so far.....although I couldnt find them after the move last xmas so used a few lolly sticks as emergency ones until my stash was found ....but I like the idea of the tongue depressers fo something a little bigger....will have to remember them when I run out of plastic ones.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 10:04:38 »
I use pencil as it doesn't fade, usually on bought markers, sometimes on bits of chopped-up disposable drink containers if I run out.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 16:15:56 »
Look at my lovely yellow label on my pea page,

50p for 50 at B&Q. They have big cardboard displays with things at less than £1.

The come with self adhesive labels, but I prefer to write with a permanent pen.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_peas.html

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 16:21:48 »
I buy old venetian blinds from charity shops and cut them up, they work a treat and one lasts years XX Jeannine

this is a great idea! though I imagine you end up with sharp edges..

like the idea of the tongue depressers too.

I got a huge pack on special offer/ in a sale from somewhere like Wilko or Pound land, which have kept me going for 2 years now.

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 21:24:07 »
Ikea sell a 'venetian blind trimmer' for about £1 and it trims the ends to be rounded!  Great little gadget, bit like giant nail clippers. ;D
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 09:45:24 »
I have a problem with the sun bleaching out my labels (no matter what pen I use) so I thought I'd treat mysef and ordered a embossing  label maker from Dymo,  I ordered it on the 18th feb, still waiting!  >:( Does the sun bleach out pen on lolly sticks????

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 12:19:03 »
I've bought some label things from another A4A person Gardenantics - he has his own business and uses recycling (well, reusing) ideas.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal