Author Topic: New boy needs help!!  (Read 2416 times)

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
Re: New boy needs help!!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 13:17:38 »
When we got our lottie on 4th April 2003, we had a bed dug over on the first day (took us a couple of hours to clear the weeds and their roots).

Next day, we went to B&Q for a selection of herb plants. They look good in the ground, grow quickly, and spread nicely to cover the ground. We felt that we had got a good start, and every time my back ached on digging other beds, one look at the herbs made it seem more worthwhile.

Good ones to start with (hardy and useful in the kitchen) are sage, rosemary, lemon balm and thyme.

All the best with whatever you decide to grow,

Tricia  :-*

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 15:26:52 »
Hi Anton, I am a newbie allotment holder this year too! So far we have put potatoes in (this weekend) but that is about it! We have leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, beetroot and in pots indoors. I have also planted a pot of 'alpine' strawberries from seed (did this in Jan). We also broad beans hardening off ready to go out on the plot tommorrow. Finally numerous varieties of tomatoes and chillis indoors in pots. I have shallots that really need to be out ASAP so hopefully will do that tommorrow. You will find plenty of friendly advice on this site and the best of luck with your new lottie!

Rachel

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 17:14:53 »
Hey anton & welcome (officially!) to the mad house - loads of good advice on here so you'll soon learn what & when everything needs doing.

We have garlic, onions and pots in the lottie at the mo, and carrots, leeks and salad onions sown in modules at home.  Also tried some beetroots but think they'll end up being a disaster  ::)

Best advice i've read is take it easy (don't try to dig the whole plot in one go  :o ) and enjoy it!  Also, take some pics before, during and after all your hard work to share with us all  ;)

Good luck & happy digging x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

KevTetley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 12:42:24 »
Similar to Cornykev, I now have peas, broad beans, sugarsnaps, onions, shallots, garlic, beetroot, carrots, parsnips, turnips in.

Im new this year too!  I hope all the advice I have been given is going to work!  I have found there are so many options/answers to the questions I ask.  I have to make a judgement-call and choose which I feel sounds most sensible.  It appears there are no hard-and-fast rules.  Probably will learn by our mistakes! 

Anyway goodluck!  Im in Bristol btw - has been warm for a few weeks now.

mrsnesbitt

• Not So New ...
  • people have been telling me I need help!
    • denisebydesigns
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 15:31:57 »
Hi Ant and welcome. I too am digging at the moment, our first time too, so I can identify with what you say. I have learnt so much in the past year.

Kind Regards
D
Check out the progress as we set out growing our own for the first time!

http://mrsnesbittsplace.blogspot.com/

anton

• Not So New ...
  • New boy. Be gentle as I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 17:38:29 »
thanks for the support and words of advice guys!

backs a bit better today - might have to do some more digging this weekend :-\ 

come on the sunshine ;D

beachlover

• Not So New ...
  • Isle of Wight
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 18:20:58 »
Got my plot just before Xmas.
I managed to get some broad beans, garlic and onions in and can wholly recommend getting stuff growing as positive reinforcement for when the going gets tough!
I don't know what your fellow allotmenteers are like, but mine are a great bunch and after the "here's a new boy.....let's stand and watch" they have turned out to be a mine of useful advice, help and encouragement, as well as a welcome chinwag over a brew when you have had enough of digging.
The bloke next to me has had his plot for 40 years. Who needs a book with a guy like that on tap?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 18:57:38 »
Books last forever..... sadly neighbours don't, especially those with a head start...
 :-X

beachlover

• Not So New ...
  • Isle of Wight
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 19:13:28 »
Books last forever..... sadly neighbours don't, especially those with a head start...
 :-X

Well, in the five months I've been there he has been more inspiration and source of information than any book I've bought and it's local, which no book can ake into account.

zozobythesea

• Not So New ...
  • Fraddon, Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 11:28:28 »
Hiya,

Just a quick note to say hello, I am a newbee too, and haven't even looked at my site, just got it. 

I know what you mean about wanting some insiration whilst you're digging,  I think I shall be the same.  I was so impatient that I have onions already planted in a big box in my garden, and carrots and courgettes in seed trays on my bedroom window sill, they have just started to sprout.  I have not even looked at a book, I just read the back of the packet.  I think I need to pick up a book, and get studying.  I shall keep watching with interest, and maybe we can learn by each others mistakes.

Lots of luck and support
 ???
desperately awaiting my plot to get stuck in!

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 13:20:20 »
I hope you have got started, with this mild dry weather you will have a good start. You are right to dig and plant straight away, if you look at my year-old site, that is exactly what I did. The main thing at the moment is avoid the plants that cannot go out until May, it means that they will not withstand frost. I live in Liverpool and work one day a week in Manchester and I know it is a lot colder there.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal