Author Topic: Marrow wine  (Read 26715 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Marrow wine
« on: August 23, 2003, 03:14:24 »
Has any one out their made marrow wine/marrow rum/marrow whiskey or marrow cream? :-/
I have been given 2 marrows and my own on the lottie is nearly ready to pick. Not too keen on eating marrows but love to grow one last time I grew one the rabbits had it. Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Admin Dan

• Administrator
  • Not So New ...
  • Allotment Starter
    • Casa Cueva
Re: Marrow wine
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 15:07:39 »
I wouldn't even have a clue where to start - but sounds like fun, might have a go this year - if I've got any produce left.

newboy

• Not So New ...
  • whats the story gardenin glory
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 21:53:14 »
I have been informed that if you (bit sketchy info) scoop the insides out of marrows and fill with brown sugar then hang above a pot the resulting juices will be slightly potent. Not sure if this is true or not I tried but all i got was three mouldy marrows????
Does anyone know if its true and if so where did i go wrong ??? ??? ::)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 23:14:18 »
Hi Newboy

That sounds like marrow rum :P will find my book out
Teresa

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 23:31:24 »
Hi Teresa and Newboy, just looked up marrow cream in my Easymade wine & country drinks book by Mrs Gennery-Taylor, have to say the book is fairly old, and in the preface it says "This book is intended for the ordinary housewife or perhaps her husband" Made me snort! Anyhow here is the recipe for Marrow cream...I do not think I shall be making it as it sounds pretty disgusting to me, but if you give it a go, please let me know!
1 Ripe Marrow
1 lb granulated Sugar
1 Lemon
1 Pint of warm water
1/2 oz of bakers yeast acting or quick acting G.P. yeast.

Cut up about 2lb of marrow into very small cubes. Leaving out the rind and pith. Put cubes in a bowl and pour over 1lb of the sugar. Covering the marrow completely. Cover bowl and leave overnight.
In the morning pour off the marrow juice and dissolved sugar into a jug. pour a pint of warm water over the remaining marrow cubes, stir for a few mins then pour off mixture into the marrow juice.
Add the juice of the lemon, and stir in yeast. Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for several hours, when you will find it has become frothy. Stir again and it is then ready to drink. I am sorry but this does not sound in any way appealing to me! :P
It is best drunk while fresh  :o as if you keep it a day or two it will begin to turn into wine. this is quite a health-giving drink she has got to be kidding as both the yeast and lemon contain vitamins and sugar provides energy.
If any of you try this and end up at hte doctors, don't blame me!   Dotty P. :-[
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 23:35:34 »
Marrow Rum:- Found this recipe on the net Have a recipe for Marrow wine, made it once and we really did not like it. The better half managed to plow his way through it though, as he cannot bear to throw a gallon of wine away in any form!! ;D

MARROW RUM

1 ripe marrow

5 to 7lb of Demerara sugar, according to size of the marrow

General Purpose wine yeast

Yeast nutrient

Wipe marrow clean with damp cloth, then cut a piece off the stalk end of the marrow, deep enough to enable you to scoop out the seeds and pith from the rest of the marrow. Press the Demerara sugar into the cavity left; it depends on the size of the marrow how much you will need; a large one will take 7 pounds of sugar.

Replace the end of the marrow and seal with a piece of sticky tape. Then suspend the marrow over a jar or jug; something with a narrow neck so that the marrow can rest on this but not touch the bottom of the container.

After two or three weeks unseal the end of the marrow and add some more sugar; some of the first lot will have been absorbed into the flesh of the marrow. Put the end on again and leave for about six to seven weeks, when the sugar should have mixed with the flesh of the marrow and the resulting liquid will have dripped through into the jar leaving only the shell of the marrow. Add yeast and yeast nutrient. Strain into fermentation jar fit airlock and allow fermentation to finish until dry.

Keep at least twelve months when it will be very strong

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 00:11:20 »
Hi Doris
Just found my book thats the marrow rum I have,
Newboy
there is marrow whisky as well
I can never cook a marrow but love growing them for the flowers I know I am a woman if it looks nice grow it.
ha ha ah
Teresa

newboy

• Not So New ...
  • whats the story gardenin glory
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 21:23:23 »
As i am partial to a bit of experimentation in the drink department i will give the rum a try, i tried something similar this year but it all went wrong. surely though after a few weeks the marrow will rot and go mouldy???
Marrow cream sounds incredibly vile :-X and i certainly wont be trying that.
Thanks all

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 22:17:53 »
Oh  Newboy, and there was me hoping someone would give it a go!!! ;D  Dotty P.

Steve

• Not So New ...
  • I would rather have a glass of homebrew!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 00:50:22 »
Hi all
Forget trying to make marrow rum this way as its very sweet and sickly and full of bacteria :P if you would like a recipe for marrow wine i will post one that is tried and tested.
Steve
If ya can't eat it brew it

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 00:56:30 »
Yes please Steve ready and waiting
Teresa

Steve

• Not So New ...
  • I would rather have a glass of homebrew!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 12:38:36 »
Hi Teresa as promised ;)

MARROW WINE (medium)

5Lb Ripe Marrow flesh and seeds
3Lb white sugar(brown if you want rum colour)
4tsp Citric acid
2 Oranges
1oz peeled root ginger
1gal boiling water
yeast nutrient
sachet of wine yeast
Pectic enzyme

Great the marrow and use seeds, slice the oranges, bruise the ginger, and put into a food grade bucket with the acid. Pour over the boiling water and when cool add the enzyme,yeast and nutrient. Leave five days, closely covered, stirring daily, strain and dissolve the sugar in the liquid. either put into a fermentation jar and fit an air lock, or closely covered and ferment till finnish (no more bubbles/ start to clear) when clear siphon it off the yeast. it should be ready to bottle or drink in about six months but the longer you leave it the better.

Also  a good book which I recomend any one to get if they want to make wines is

First steps in wine making  By C.J.J Berry
ISBN 1-85486-139-5
Good luck and any probs let me know and I will try to help.  ;D

Steve

If ya can't eat it brew it

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 13:44:45 »
Thanks Steve will get started tonight
Teresa

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 20:45:07 »
I think the key words on the marrow wine recipe are `the longer you leave it` preferably in one`s will to some enemy. But maybe after three years it would be drinkable-as for marrow rum-forget it.

But some veg do make decent wine-beetroot `sherry`is good-can`t give the recipe for copyright reasons but it is in;

Making Wines Like Those You Buy-Acton & Duncan-SBN 900841 03 6.

For any beer makers out there:

7lb Pale Malt

6oz Crystal Malt

9oz Flaked Maize

500g muscavado Sugar

2oz Goldings

2oz Hallertau

Mash as per normal-It won the `National` Pale Ale Class in 1984-I really must take this up again.

Stephan.

frogger

• Not So New ...
  • Tra la la
Re:Marrow wine
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 23:29:16 »
Hello all, this is my first post  :-*

Good marrow wine can be totally ace - or at least it was when I tried it at age 17 (a friend's dad made it in his garage). It is like drinking angel's breath - light, fresh and from another realm (ok so maybe I exaggerate, I wasn't exactly an experienced wine drinker in those days!) But it certainly is something I have always wanted to try again.
Bring on the marrows!

Frogger

Andy H

• Hectare
Re:Marrow rum
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2004, 11:59:02 »
my friend mentioned marrow rum so looked it up on the net. sounds interesting?
www.kwacs.freeserve.co.uk/Countryside%20Recipes.htm

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2004, 15:13:30 »
OH MY!What a handy person you are .Recipes printed and stored for further use.Could feel a party coming on .Yes i've made Marrow Rum in the past Sloe Gin etc always open to new recipes though .Think that EJ should be made aware of these recipes.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

MrsFrog

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 01:04:49 »
Hi!

If you type in index2.txt on your search thing (I use the one at the top of my screen that comes with the yahoo tool bar, not great with computers me!) it will bring up a site called Nick Truman's Wine Making Guide. There's a lovely recipe for marrow wine under "Social Wines", this site has recipes for making mediaeval alcoholic beverages out of all sorts of stuff found growing in the average lottie!!  :P Give the man a knighthood!!  ;D Hope this helps,

Lisa

andham2000

• Not So New ...
  • I dig allotments
    • selfsufficientish.com
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 01:13:30 »
One of our visitors, Jackie, has given us a load of home brew recipes. Her favorite is marrow wine. I posted it the other day on http://www.selfsufficientish.com/marrowine.htm

Not tried it myself yet, but she is a good authority on good home brew.

--------------------------------------------------
Selfsufficientish
Selfsufficientish the book

andham2000

• Not So New ...
  • I dig allotments
    • selfsufficientish.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 15:21:41 »
actually we also have a recipe for sloe gin on the site too as well as a few other home brew recipes. Sorry if I sound like I am heavily pluggin my site, just trying to help.....

I do have at least three links to this site aswell.

Andy
--------------------------------------------------
Selfsufficientish
Selfsufficientish the book

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal