Author Topic: Another hotbed question ...  (Read 1071 times)

SKIP

• Not So New ...
Another hotbed question ...
« on: February 01, 2007, 13:37:45 »
I know there have been a few hotbed threads - so hope its not too annoying to have another!
From everything I've read it seems you should build the hotbed up as quickly as poss, then wait a couple of weeks for it to heat up before planting .... but my problem is:
I'm very lucky to have my own horse (& muck maker), but the horse isn't where the garden is so I bring back the muck in bags as its produced - which isnt that much at a time, & I cant stack it there as it'll be mixed with everyone elses that will include shavings (which arent meant to be hotbed friendly).
So I bring it home & build up my heap slowly as a compost heap ... but now have a big window pane that would fit the top of the compost bin - would it ever get warm enough with my slow buld process?  & how do you take the temperature of the heap?
Thanks for your help

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Another hotbed question ...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 13:59:41 »
Quote;So I bring it home & build up my heap slowly as a compost heap ... but now have a big window pane that would fit the top of the compost bin - would it ever get warm enough with my slow buld process?

I am no expert in this method of hot bed but as I see it the material you are putting in is always decomposing therefore it is emitting heat. I would give the heap a stir up each time you add more this will allow more air in to assist the decomposition and also mix the old with the new rather than forming layers.

Regarding the window pane; anything that can assist keeping warm air in and cold air out can only be beneficial.

Quote; how do you take the temperature of the heap?

By using a soil thermometer, these come in various sizes see example here; http://tinyurl.com/2pacla

SKIP

• Not So New ...
Re: Another hotbed question ...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 16:26:49 »
Thanks for your help - that makes a lot of sence, I had thought about mixing it up - Cheers
Skip

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal