Author Topic: Good news - Allotments Regeneration in Manchester  (Read 2660 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Good news - Allotments Regeneration in Manchester
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:54:59 »
I was getting fed up reading all the bad news about people not living in the right post code to get a plot, and the Olympics riding rough-shod over our cabbages.  Then a got a letter this morning from Groundwork who have been commissioned by Manchester City Council to 'consult' on the regeneration of allotments in the City.

It seems that the Joint Health Unit and Leisure at the Council and the Association of Mcr Allotment Societies have put their heads together to think about the benefits and future for the allotments across the area.

The questionnaire I've filled in asks about supporting people who take on over grown plots, turning vacant plots into joint projects for all sorts -  permaculture, eco buildings (?), alternative energy...

I know it's only a consultation, but it's got to be a step in the right direction? 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Good news - Allotments Regeneration in Manchester
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 15:30:24 »
thank goodness they're finally coming to their senses, we got our copy of Allotments Regeneration Initiative magazine yesterday, according to that, this sort of thing's going on all over the country  :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 16:40:09 »
If anybody can get things moving it is Groundwork. I have worked on some of their projects and they really have some clout with local authorities.

urbandruid

• Not So New ...
  • It's all about the light...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 17:02:38 »
Hey, let's hope it comes to something.  If there's one thing Manchester needs, it's more green spaces!  :)
Peruse my allotment diaries here!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 20:57:13 »
That is brilliant!   It is great to hear some good news for a change. Thanks for letting us know miniroots.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 22:02:04 »
Hooray, some good news for allotments at last!  ;D  Keep us posted of any progress & thanks for cheering me up!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 14:41:46 »
This was on the news last night - how nice to hear of a forward thinking council.

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 08:26:50 »
Are we on the right wave length.  AMAS (Association Manchester Allotments Society) is currently working to form a trust to take over the management of allotments in Manchester.  Do you mean the offer of supervised workers clearing unused plots.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 17:02:53 »
Hope it works out ok for Manchester :)

We had several projects on the go with Groundworks and they all turned into an ethical/logistical/moral nightmare  ::) Not one of them came to fruition unfortunately.

They were, in essence, good plans.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal