Author Topic: Tesco's Finest  (Read 4535 times)

Larkspur

• Acre
Tesco's Finest
« on: December 27, 2006, 14:55:17 »
During Tesco's sale of their gardening equipment in the Autumn I bought a stainless steel digging fork. It was part of their "Finest" range. I used it for the first time today and the second time I put it into the soil one of the tines broke off :o. I wasn't very amused but I took it back and got a refund no problem. Then went and bought another fork from elsewhere.
The fork it was meant to replace is at least 60years old, was my grandfathers and is still going strong apart from the fact that the tines are less than half their original length :D.
Any way, out of this ramble comes a question. Are stainless tools known for lack of durability and are they normally cast rather than forged ??? because this fork certainly was judging by the crystaline structure of the metal at the break.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Tesco's Finest
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 15:25:22 »
judging by the crystaline structure of the metal at the break.

What a fascinating question ...

I must admit, I thought that production economics would require that most tools are hot formed using a single pressing operation. This produces the required shape with 'sufficient' strength for the purpose, the strength coming mainly from a skin formed toughness. I have refrained from using the term forged, since I interpret that to involve multiple forming passes, so as to form the correct grain (crystal) structure needed for optimum strength. This forging can be argued against on volume production grounds because it needs expensive and rugged machinery, and it takes longer to produce the finished goods. I have no experience with hot forming stainless steels, so cannot pass comment there, but would have thought that crystallisation would occur as for other carbon steels.

The 'sad' fact is, that a lot of metal goods are produced at various locations around the globe, where the quality is far below what we have been accustomed to with for example ... 'Sheffield Steels'. Personally, I have a Wilko stainless spade, which is very good, but the plastic handle is now working loose after 4 years (not bad for £8) and a Wilko 'normal' fork, which is still performing excellently after 5 years. The fork is kept clean by virtue of it being used regularly.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 15:38:57 »
Stainless steel is far harder though more brittle than carbon steel and all steel if broken cleanly will display a crystalline structure but some grades of stainless are better than others, did you happen to notice where the Tesco fork was made?

I have bent or broken every fork I've ever owned, including stainless ones and my Grandads antique one. That is until I was given my Spear & Jackson Neverbend a few Christmases ago. Despite every effort the tines are still as straight as when I bought it, I rarely use a spade due to the high proportion of stones in my soil so it gets a bit of a hammering.

I'm on my second handle, the first one only lasted 6 months before it snapped so I fitted an extra long one which makes it an even better tool for me.

Sorry if this sounds like an advert but if you knew how many forks I'd been through over the years you'd know what a high recommendation this is.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 16:05:55 »
I've had to return at least 2 very expensive stainless forks over the years for the same reason. Old fashioned ones just bent!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 19:26:00 »
I have had to return two Spear & Jackson Traditional Range forks because their beech handles broke - one shaft spilt and one the handle itself split.  CMS Gardens and Spear & Jackson replaced then with no quibble.  My replacement now has one bent tine (yet to be straightened - I assume a traditional tool shop will do it).  They are stainless steel.  No tines have broken.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 21:09:17 »
Stainless steel is, more or less, just as workable as carbon steel from the point of view of manufacturing processes. However, in order to make steel stainless, a large proportion of (usually) chromium must be added. In the form in which it is almost cetainly employed for garden tools (ferritic, the cheapest), it cannot at the same time have a high carbon content, which is of course what gives carbon steel its strength. Another factor is, about 50% of all stainless steel is now recycled. There are three main formulae for this type of stainless steel in the west, but I would guess that recycling interferes somewhat with these. I have the vision of a lorry tipping a load of assorted SS items into a huge hopper. There is also some speculation regarding the quality control of some factories in the East.
I can see the advantages of a SS spade, reducing the coefficient of friction so that your muck slides off more easily, but is the same true of a fork with its greatly reduced surface area? I've never used one so I can't comment, but my old one comes up as shiny as new after about five minutes' work. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the price or the name that guarantees quality.
Now you're saying, Oooooh look at 'im, big 'ead. ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 21:15:59 »
And (having just read the last line of your question Larkspur  ::)) it is very unlikely that it is a casting because cast iron, unless it's of extraordinarily high quality, is just not suitable, being very brittle.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 00:05:27 »
Now you're saying, Oooooh look at 'im, big 'ead.

er, no

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 07:35:49 »
I thought it was just me MT who "broke/bent every fork!" and to Geoff me neither.....
 ;D

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:54 »
Many thanks for the replies. I have had no previous experience with tools made from stainless but I am familiar with both cast and wrought iron (the stuff made in a puddling furnace not the decorative mild steel sold under that name in garden centres) and the similarity in both performance under stress and appearance with cast iron was remarkable.
It seems overall that stainless forks are no less reliable than traditional ones it is just that they suffer from total failure (break) whereas the traditional ones only have partial failure (bend).
Oh by the way I did only pay £2.99 for the fork in the first place ;D ;D, I think it was originally about £18.00 :D.

plot73

• Not So New ...
  • Just sniffin' around
    • http://plot73.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:13 »
I purchased 2 of the Tesco Finest Forks (both at £2.99) in October. I haven't managed to break them (yet!) turning over the clay my newly aquired plot. I've probably now just jinxed myself and they'll both go this weekend.
Stuck at my desk, wishing I was outside

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

http://plot73.blogspot.com/

http://www.pendragon-it.com

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 20:50:56 »
It seems overall that stainless forks are no less reliable than traditional ones it is just that they suffer from total failure (break) whereas the traditional ones only have partial failure (bend).

I've busted the tines off oof plenty of carbon steel forks too  :o

I thought it was just me MT who "broke/bent every fork!

No, I have a collection of 3 tined forks at the back of the shed somewhere :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 16:14:34 »
My wife broke her Wilkinson Sword "lifetime guarantee" after about 5 months she is a compulsive digger but at 8 stone hardly a heavy one She has gone back to a Wilko's cheap one!
We have kept a two tine fork which is good for close work on Dandelions etc in the borders!
 ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 17:26:07 »
The shafts on the stainless tools always break on me and the tines break, so I have the builders quality types from jewsons etc.

Steel shafts so no problems but the mild steel tines on the fork bent. To cure this I stuck the end in a big bonfire and when they were glowing I plunged them in the water butt.

The tools are really heavy duty and heavy to use but I do not mind that. But no troubles since I 'fired ' them.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 13:23:20 »
Just broke a tine off OH's B&Q border fork. So far Spear & Jackson are the only forks that survive my using them.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 13:42:34 »
although they haven't had that much use until recently I bought a five-piece set (spade, fork, hoe, rake and edger) for about £20 about 6 years ago, yellow-handled and with the name "Digger" on the the handles. the only problem I've had is that if I sink the spade into the ground to its full depth and try to lever out the soil the spade head actually bends horizontally across the middle! when I take my weight off it, it bends back again with no visible damage (little bit like a Rolf Harris wobbleboard) but surely this shouldn't happen, and eventually the metal will fatigue and split?!? if the spade head is this flexible, what metal(s) is it likely to be made from?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 15:39:10 »
Hi I bought my fork from charity shop for £2 although not S/S it is excellent for what I need and must be a good few years old - think I got a real bargin !

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 15:59:10 »
Hi norfolklass. Yes it does sound as if your spade will eventually break, it must be weakened every time it bends. Perhaps one of the people with more knowledge than me (see posts above) can throw exact light on what material it is made from but it sounds like rather thin mild steel to me.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 16:03:08 »
although they haven't had that much use until recently I bought a five-piece set (spade, fork, hoe, rake and edger) for about £20 about 6 years ago, yellow-handled and with the name "Digger" on the the handles. the only problem I've had is that if I sink the spade into the ground to its full depth and try to lever out the soil the spade head actually bends horizontally across the middle! when I take my weight off it, it bends back again with no visible damage (little bit like a Rolf Harris wobbleboard) but surely this shouldn't happen, and eventually the metal will fatigue and split?!? if the spade head is this flexible, what metal(s) is it likely to be made from?

I'd have to say that it's probably the chocolate variety of steel!

If it's the same kind that I have, they're actually quite thick, but low grade mild steel with a hammered enamel finish.

Crap but cheap. Or cheap but crap.  ;)

Think I paid £6 for my spade about 3 years ago. Wouldn't bother again.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 17:56:09 »
well I talked that one up, didn't I?!? broke my fork on Sunday: the metal fork head and the shaft are OK but the plastic D handle has split around one of the rivetty things holding it on so I can't out any weight on it. I had a quick look in the local hardware store in my lunch hour but don't know whether to go for another cheap and cheerful 3 piece (head, shaft, handle) or splash out on one with a wooden shaft/handle. I remember breaking my grandad's wooden-handled fork when I was younger by leaning on it too hard and splitting the wood where it slotted into the metal hollow of the head. I think it was quite old and possibly a little rotten! but isn't this weak spot in wooden-handled tools?

advice gratefully received!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal