Author Topic: Website making - again  (Read 2592 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Website making - again
« on: April 20, 2004, 14:22:48 »
Havingbeen frustrated with my ISP on this, I am now looking elsewhere for  a home for my website

Do any of the 'net wizkids know of a good (but free) webhosting site? Also any tips on uploading a site once ready?

PS Is the webhost "Velnet" any good? I did a Google search on free hosting and found this one which looks pretty good, but being a beginer at this i cant tell for sure.  :-\

Thanks in advance  :)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:Website making - again
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 21:44:16 »
Sorry, Richard - I had a look at free hosting a while ago, and gave up;  I just didn't want all the banners and ads all over MY site.

The velnet free webspace certainly loooks interesting - though it's not exactly free; there's all sorts of hidden ways of them getting money from you - and I'd be a little uncertain at the lack of information about the terms and conditions.

Not a great help - how about having a browse through the internet magazine shelf in WHSmiths?  There's usually one or two with lists of ISPs and their performance.

All best - Gavin

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:35:53 »
I am realising how  :-X lucky I was to have set up a website with BTinternet before they got attached to Yahoo. New websites from btinternet/yahoo customers are offered geocities, which I seem to recall is bannered.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 16:40:44 »
One of mine is a freeby, not very complex but might be all you need. Have a look at;
http://kenkew.mysite.freeserve.com/

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 00:11:29 »
Richard, I would try again with your free one first.  If you can find details of how to set up an ftp session then on Windows, uploading pictures can be done as simply as copying files to another folder via Windows Explorer.  The AOL help should give you this information. All you should need is an ftp address, your user name and password and
windows help tells you how to set up a new ftp connection.  There are many freeware utilities that can also handle the ftp connection and allow simple drag and drop.  You'll have to do something similar if you buy webspace anyway.  Wiser hosting are good - my little boy has his own site with them and it's pocket money prices though he's had over 100,000 hits a month - (www.cncvengeance.co.uk).  Let me know if you get stuck.  You can also ftp from the ms-dos prompt.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 13:00:11 »
Many thanks to gillian for the help on this.

I will post again if I need more help.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal