Author Topic: seed swap idea anyone fancy a go  (Read 10133 times)

CityChick

• Acre
Re: seed swap idea anyone fancy a go
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 18:38:38 »
15 players so far - still time to join in if anyone else is interested :)

jo9919

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 20:07:29 »
I'd like to join please. Have PM'd you.

Jo.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007, 10:14:35 »
I've started bagging seed up - but ran out of bags... will do some more in the week.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2007, 11:53:19 »
I've PMed you - would definitely like to join the fun.

I agree that it should be kept UK-only. What about packet sizes? Should we do them to the usual swapping standards - ie around 12-20 seeds for big-seeded plants, and a good pinch or two of smaller seeds?

(Woo! New seeds!)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2007, 13:14:16 »
Regard to what you put in, and what you take out, lets keep it fairly flexible... 

I know I've got some packets where I've only got a few spare eg 3 or 4 melon or winter squash seeds, but that still might be enough for someone to try a new variety, so I'm going to put them in.  At the other extreme I've got some unopened packets of flower seeds which I'm also going to put in - might be 100s in some of those, but people don't have to take them all if they're not thinking of growing that many... just take what you realistically think you're likely to grow.

I was about to say that large numbers of big seeds like beans might not be such a good idea (due to weight and size) but then thought if they were unusal ones like crimson flowered broad beans, or cherokee trail of tears beans, they might be a hit! So I wouldn't rule that out either. (Don't get excited anyone, I haven't got any of either of those to add...)

Only other thing I can think to add is keep the parcel to a size that can squeeze through letter boxes incase people are out when postie arrives!

HTH :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2007, 13:42:24 »
keep the parcel to a size that can squeeze through letter boxes incase people are out when postie arrives!

Very good idea! Otherwise it could spend half its life in the post office parcel room.

cj :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2007, 21:25:56 »
Well I doubt it will fit through my letter box anyway. but i usually come home for lunch so can collect my card and get my parcel same day OR will be school hols week after next so i may be home anyway  ;D

I have done different sized packets depending on how much i have spare and depending on the seed so some you only get one seed (squash) some you get about 10 - some 30.  Some you may wish to split.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2007, 11:03:28 »
Yup - that all seems to make sense.

Also, I suppose if plastic zippy bags are used there's no harm in people taking out as much seed as they'll use, and then leave the rest for sometone else.

Ooh, this is going to be exciting. :D

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2007, 19:40:51 »
Woo Hoo! ;D

I have got the parcel! Am very excited and looking through my seeds right now! I also have some tiny zip bags and labels, which I can include for the next person to put seeds in.

Will post again on Friday (my mum wants to look too) - the next person on the list is Laura in Walton on Thames
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2007, 23:53:22 »
Am i too late??? i'd love to play got loads and loads of seeds that I was  going thru with OH today this sound really exciting surprise packages :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2007, 00:02:31 »
See the thread "Pass the parcel is GO!"

This round has already started, but it seems to be a great success so far, and there's a lot of interest in doing another round soon, so you should be in luck!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2007, 17:14:20 »
CC have pm'd you ...  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal