Author Topic: What can't you live without?  (Read 7831 times)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
What can't you live without?
« on: September 07, 2006, 18:05:06 »
Not sure where was the best place to post this thread, but was wondering earlier today as I slaved away over a hot stove, what kitchen gadget can I no longer do without?  ???

I see threads about Pasatta machines, pasta makers and various other technical gadgets and gizmos, but for me, the thing that I cannot live without is................................................................................my ice-cream scoop!   ;D

Yes I know it sounds daft, but today scooping out the dentre of hot pears, scooping out the seeds of marrows etc. it is an absolute godsend! And of course, you can also use it for srving up ice-cream, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy!  ;D

What's your gadget?
What can you not do without in the kitchen?

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: What can't you live without?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 18:29:46 »
My food processor,

I too have been busy in the kitchen today, whizzing up loads of soup for the freezer, the equivalent of 36 servings of courgette and spring onion soup.  We have tried lots of recipes and this is the one my lot are happiest with.

I couldn't manage without my food processor to make it, and I have one other favourite that I wouldn't be without, my cook's measure:

http://www.cooknkitchen.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=p24.html

I use this all the time when I am baking etc. and have just bought my daughter one to take to uni because she was threatening to take mine.  It was given to us when we married 27 years ago and has probably been used most days.

I am interested to see what others will say is their favourite.

T.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 22:21:16 »
One of my favourite gadgets is my potato ricer for perfect lump free mash.  I had one like a large garlic press which was ancient & then I replaced it with a stainless steel job from Lidls last year. I often make mustard mash or garlic mash etc it also works with sweet potatoes or parsnips. 

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 22:41:15 »
It would have to be my hand held bliltzer/chopper thingy.  I use it almost daily.  I do have a great big old fashioned Kenwood Chef type thingy, but I don't have the surface to use it!  I have cupboards crammed packed full of gadgets and things.  My Mandolin is another one I don't think I could live without, altho my knuckles would quite happily!! ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 22:49:38 »
I bought one of those blitzer things too, and find it brilliant for making soup etc. I still end up spraying my face occasionally though !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 23:12:16 »
A sharp knife, a colander and a wooden spoon - how boring am I!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 23:15:51 »
ooo,oooo, my jelly bag, invaluable for making jellies at this time of the year!  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 00:42:54 »
 ;D

Great thread! For me it's got to be my Prestige cooks knife. It has a plastic handle, I bought it in 1981, it's not smart but I sharpen it regularly and cannot cook without it!

I have a lovely set of Sabatier knives in a wood block and never use them!

;)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 00:58:42 »
Mine has to be my Silit pressure cooker, bought in Germany in 1975 and has been in constant use ever since. It's a heavy base 5 litre stainless steel model which is also used practically on a daily basis at this time of year for making jams, jellies, chutneys and pickles. Twice in its lifetime it has been badly burned, once with mussels mariniere  ::) which were left too long at pressure and once with green tomato chutney when I got side-tracked and forgot it till I smelt the burning  ???. Both times it cleaned up a treat and still looks like new. Second must be my two flexible spatulas which leave not a speck of anything in a pan or bowl  ;D. I hate waste :).

Tricia

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 07:09:10 »
Love this thread ;D
I'm with tricia - my s/s 6 litre pressure cooker tops the list, it's hardly ever in the cupboard.
Saving up for the 12 litre version :-[ :P
If we're allowed a runner up, it has to be knives, and a ceramic disc knife sharpener.
And the stick blender whizzer thingy :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:56:30 by supersprout »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 07:13:46 »
If anything, my 3" wee knife.  If I can't find it, I'm lost.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 07:58:36 »
Absolutely go with my small knife and stick blender whizzy thing - also love my digital scales (cheap from Ikea). Like being able to weigh things straight into bowls etc as well as loose.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:10 »
My small knife and my cake testing skewer (don't make cakes but test veggies with it). Take both with me when I go to stay anywhere when I know I'm going to be hauled into the kitchen. My copper-bottomed lidded sauce pan - never made a lumpy sauce yet. Pestle and mortar for hard stuff, half-moon for soft.

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 08:58:38 »
Potato Ricer, for great smooth mash.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 09:52:34 »
Much as I like the potato ricer, I don't use it much and so I don't have it on my 'can't live without' list. If it's honestly what we use most, it's my Victorinox knives - one tiny paring knife, one 6" for everything else. Sir has his own set of knives, as he's a lefty and I'm a righty, so we cut differently.

For the gadget I use most - has to be the spud peeler. I've got a couple - one the old type with string round the handle (great for right-handers) and the other a GoodGrips catapult-style one, which peels marrows, carrots, squashes without any fuss or much effort. And the string one doubles up as a philips screwdriver too!

Hand blender too is well-used - we've a Bamix which isn't the cheapest but is solid and can whizz through most things easily.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 10:37:14 »
I have started something here haven't I?  :P

I have to admit that my "Runner-up" utensil is a wooden spoon, given to me by my G'ma, I've had it since I went to Uni in 1986! The handle is nearly burnt completely through now, but for sentimental reasons I will never be without it, have lots of other wooden spoons, and they are the only spoons I cook with - cannot stand plastic or metal againstthe bottoms of pans etc.

Kathi  ;D
Kathi :-)

ForestryChick

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 12:52:30 »
Me too, I have a whole range of wooden spoons but my first spoon I had when I went off to Uni oh so many years ago is still my favourite, a batterd burnt old thing but well loved ... and I could not be without my hand blender/mixer thingy, great for making pesto, whizzing soup, blitzing onions etc, etc - get the picture :D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 22:10:42 »
Prink13, you certainly have opened up a 'can of worms'!

Whether it be the humble wooden spoon, or the more expensive equipment.

Personally, I would find it difficult to manage without the Magimix food processor, the Bamix stick blender, and the Kitchenaid food mixer.

valmarg

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 23:01:51 »
1st prize goes to: plastic chopping board. It really gets hasmmered and is so good natured.
2nd prize goes to: Kenwood Major - best wedding gift ever.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 14:15:43 »
I have a really good knife I use, and recently bought a very large round, thick wooden chopping board, which is a pleasure to use and I can get quite a lot of stuff on it without things falling off the side as I chop. Couldn't do without my kitchenaid blender, though I am quite keen to get one of those whizzy things too, I have heard so much about them - sound really useful! my food processor is very old now -   as I bought it in 1982, so I would like it updated, though it is still very robust..but limiting! busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal