Author Topic: a quick question..  (Read 1499 times)

the_windy_chilli

• Not So New ...
a quick question..
« on: September 01, 2006, 23:31:19 »
hi everyone, i'm new here so be gentle with me!! ;)

i have just aquired an allotment from a friend that is unable to make the most of it and i am in the process of clearing it and implementing some of my own ideas,

however, i have a slight problem...

there are approx 50 car tyres :'( on the plot that have been used for growing/borders and i dont want them!

i cant get rid of them for love nor money-have foned the council and even they dont know what to suggest!!

any help would be much appreciated.

all the best.... T_W_C. :)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
Re: a quick question..
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 23:41:22 »
Hi
Welcome to the site, its very friendly on here and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
About your tyres I know theres a new law that means you cant even take them to the tip any more.
Would someone who scraps cars be interested in taking them, you might have to do a deal with them but at least you'd be rid of them.
Just a thought.  ???

the_windy_chilli

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 23:58:35 »
thanks chocolate, seems like a very useful place.

only a novice myself so will be asking plenty more questions in the future!! ;D

was already toying with your suggestion although i was kinda hoping i could get rid for free as i've got so many..

i heard somewhere they can charge upto £3 a tyre to 'dispose' for you and as i've got over 50 would be a small fortune!!

someone must have another use for old tyres?!? ???

all the best...  T_W_C.

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:25:21 »
hi,

i have used a car tyre found on my lot , and planted lavender in it i heard that the tyre keeps the  contents warm as when its sunny it holds the heat in (sure i read it on these forums)

I wish i had a few more as you can make them look neat  with herbs etc in them

To get rid maybe try phoning your local go kart tark or bmx track..etc maybe they would take them from you or even the local zoo etc
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 04:28:58 by baggieboy »

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:25:02 »
you could advertise them on your local freecycle group (freecycle.org) its amazing what people can find a use for.  Good Luck with the plot by the way. :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:22:02 »
They looked attractive on TV last night on that gardening programme, painted light green - Joe Swift harvested a great lot of potatoes from just 2 planted. So if you advertise them on Freecycle just flog that fact?

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:49:06 »
Could you stack them in some way to use them as walls for a compost heap?  They'd be really good insulation.    The rubber may even rot away eventually if some of the heap bacteria get a liking for it.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 09:41:11 »
I was thinking of getting some to surround a spud plant, earthing up and stacking them on top to get 4 or 5 ft of spuds.

I'd also use 3 at a time stacked on each other as containers for strawbs or herbs as already said. Also, I think you can turn them inside out & they make fairly nice looking pots. Possibly.

A few more ideas here:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf284146.tip.html

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 10:43:33 »
We arent allowed tyres on our plot as the chemicals they are made of can leech into the soil (so we are told) which if true puts me off the idea of ever using them to grow plants/crops in.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 10:53:34 »
If you were within 1/2 hrs drive of Derby I'd collect... they dio make great planters esp for strawbs as they do make them crop sooner and the slugs avoid them... I was very sceptical until I went to see a friend who has used them to great effect!
 8)

the_windy_chilli

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 11:29:53 »
thanks for all your help peolpe :)

some great ideas there-think i will advertise them on freecycle and mite give the gokart/bmx suggestion a go aswell!

also having read all your comments i think i mite keep a couple as they may come in handy! 

all the best...   T_W_C

p.s unfortunately i live on south coast so not within driving distance of derby otherwise i would drop some off for you!! :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal