Author Topic: when can I...?  (Read 3622 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
when can I...?
« on: March 30, 2004, 09:06:25 »
harden of my leek-lings?

They were sown at the beginning of March, germinated a week later and I pricked them out last week.

They are now between two and four inches tall and some have a second leaf.

I was thinking of putting them in the plastic greenhouse (which also has a covering of fleece) for a week, bringing them in overnight.  Then putting them in the plastic greenhouse for a week, staying out there at night. and then bringing them out in the open for a week.

Would delphiniums be ok with this method too?

You'll have to excuse me as I've never hardened anything off this early before - I didn't know you could!
gone to pot :D

rdak

Re:when can I...?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 11:18:30 »
Don't have an answer for you, but wanted to muscle in on this thread, as I'm pleased that my first leek seedlings have germinated indoors in a seed tray. What an amazing leek smell when lifting the lid!

How tall were they when you pricked them out? Mine are only about 1cm or so at the moment. Whilst on the subject of leeks, just wondered since we have red onions and spring onions, whether red leeks are available?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 11:27:49 »
tsk. there I was thinking you'd have an answer...  ;D

They must've been about 1-3 inches when I pricked them out. Most were towards the higher end of that. I don't know if this is right - I just needed to do it then as per usual I'd sown too many seeds for the pot size! I planted them a little deeper than they were originally. My fingers really smelt of leeks afterwards - lovely!

Red leeks - never seen them. But they should be available. I want some!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 12:14:37 »
Before an answer - were they brought on in heat?? = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 12:16:20 »
Tim - just the windowsill. They are in the kitchen now which is fairly cool.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 13:20:42 »
OK - that assumes 60F. So suggest - into frame for a day or two; open up progessively during the day for a day or two; open up progressively at night for a day or two; then out!
Don't take my word for it. = Tim

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 15:02:05 »
Would go along with Tim. You don't say what type of Leeks, but as a general rule pot leeks are hardier than blanch leeks

This is my timescale.........have had a look for you location and I would expect you to be about 3 to4 weeks in front of me.

*  Week 18: Prick out seedlings (if large enough to handle) into 75mm (3") pots of any proprietary potting compost and grow on at a temperature of  10°C(50°F) .

Keep them in good light but not direct sunshine.

* Week 22: Gradually harden off seedlings by placing in a cold frame until they are of sufficient size to plant out.

n.b. If the plants show signs of becoming 'pot bound' pot them up into 125mm (5") pots until planting out time.

* Week 25;  Leeks are ready for transplanting when they are about 200mm (8”) tall.

Cut off excess leaf growth before planting.

Plant out into 150mm (6”) deep holes made with a dibber or trowel 150-200mm (6”-8”) apart, in rows 300 –400mm (12”-14”) apart.

Water each plant individually to settle soil around the roots.

For the record we are currently in week 13.

The Gardener

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 15:21:09 »
Well I didn't know pot leeks and blanch leeks were different varieties - I just thought it depended on how you grew them, or something. I have no idea which they are. But they did say on the packet they would stand through winter (although not the very coldest, but then it never gets that cold here).

So I have to wait another five weeks.  :o I may try a few earlier just to see what happens (I have too many anyway!)

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 15:41:19 »
Blanch leeks;

Pot Leeks;

To give you an idea of size the card is 4" deep (100mm) and 5.5" (140mm) wide.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 15:43:45 by The gardener »

The Gardener

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 15:43:23 »
gardener - wow! Somehow i think I shall be growing them as pot leeks. they will never get as long as your blanch ones!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 16:08:24 »
Hi Aqui - If you don't have a cold frame try leaving them out during the day and bringing them in at night or get yourself a big box that you can put them in overnight and then you can cover this with fleece, old net curtain, whatever taking them out again by day !  Watch out for the dreaded slugs. tho!
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 16:24:58 »
Thanks AC. I have loads of big boxes (never throw anything out!)

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 19:23:03 »
Cannot tell a lie I didn't grow these fine specimens, but there was a day when I did grow similar.

No! the pictures were only to show the difference of one type to the other..

The Gardener

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 19:26:52 »
is complete novice leek grower but have done it!  When six inches long put em in ground!  You'll win or loose.  I won!
There are time when we just have to wing it, specially in our first years of growing!
Muddy Boots

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 23:02:12 »
ooh, having a little muscle in my self. I sowed leeks in Jiffies, about three weeks ago and they are now about 2.5 inches high, still in Jiffies. Was wondering aboutputting them out, whether to have a nursery bed, when to harden etc etc. Also, realised that I have only actually got about 24  instead of the hundreds I hope for. (still in tomatoe sowing frame - a dozen plants is plenty). So, to the potting shed/kitchen table. Much cheered as I was hugely puzzled and anxious - something about public veg growing is turning me into a neurotic, anxiety-ridden loon (have been assured this stage passes).
cheers, suzy

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 23:04:22 »
Thank Heavens for this thread - it has just reminded me that I forgot to close my frame lights, and I put my leeks in it to harden off yesterday.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal