Author Topic: None Communicating Jobsworth.  (Read 6977 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
None Communicating Jobsworth.
« on: July 29, 2006, 22:16:24 »

Talking to one of my plottie neighbours today, he tells me that both plots either side of him are being given up by the allotmenteers because of ill health.Obviously the weeds are in abundence and blowing their seeds over everybody elses. He would like to take over one of them and indeed the plot holder would like him to. He who must be obeyed (Council chappie)was approached and said that because there is a waiting list of 6 they (would be plotties) will be offered first crack BUT NOT 'TILL MARCH 07. A. there are empty plots (6 or more I think) B. They 'can't' change the rules because it's always been done that way !
How daft is that? Surely it would be better all round to let plots at the end of summer when folks can get a head start on weed clearance. We get no help from our local council with clearing plots.
Sounds like a visit to the next meeting if we can find out when it is..........!
To add insult to injury plottie neighbour had a letter this week to say he had been awarded 3rd pize for best kept plot! Nice but big surprise because none of us newer folk had a clue there was even a competition for such as no one had told us. He was bowled over.  :o 
Smile, it confuses people.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: None Communicating Jobsworth.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:33:43 »
::)

Don't you just hate mindless bureaucracy? Not in my nature to be sneaky, but what if current owner kept the plot in his name and your plottie neighbour "works it to help him out". They could do a deal over the rent and everyone is happy?!

Just a thought... 8)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:43:01 »
I suggested the same,Katy, and they had thought about it, but holder is elderly and unwell and I think maybe that might cause a problem if he went to the great Allotment in the sky. Plottie neighbour would hate to get it all working, only to have to give it to a new person. Bit of a bummer which ever way you look at it. :(

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:45:00 »
Have I understood right maggie?

1. There are vacant plots ready to be taken over
2. There is a waiting list of eager newbies
3. Now is a good time for plots to be taken over

It's a no-brainer.

Personally, I wouldn't wait for a meeting.

I'd write to the jobsworth right away and ask him/her (politely) if he/she can get the newbies onto the vacant plots asap. Get a written reply.

If you don't get a reply within a fortnight, ask for one - from the Head of Dept, cc the Chief Executive - enclosing a copy of the letter.

If s/he says he'll do it, great.
If s/he objects and says you have to wait until March 2007, meet with your local councillor(s) and ask them to help you get the sensible thing done, and quickly. Be prepared to escalate to the Head of Department (our plots come under the Environment and Recreation dept) and the Chief Executive. Offer to meet with senior execs and councillors on site to show them the problem at first hand. Show no mercy, and do everything by letter (keep copies in a file with large black lettering on the front, and take it to all meetings) and through the local councillors (the "official channels"). That's the only way IME to get a jobsworth's rear into gear :)

I hope you find yourself pushing at an open door - petty officialdom can crumble before determination and common sense.
Good luck :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:03:26 by supersprout »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 11:48:26 »
 ;D

Blimey! Don't mess with sprout when she has got her dander up! That's exactly what I meant but didn't express it as clearly and went for the streetsmart idea first! When I grow up I want to be able to do things like that! :-[

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 13:56:51 »
Wow! So glad I mentioned it. That's exactly the case SS. Will print this off and act TOMORROW (or as soon as I see L. Neighbour).
Thanks a million. :-*
M.

(we don't need to Katy, we've got SS to tell us what to do  ;D)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 14:18:47 »
LOL@both, keep us in touch with developments won't you maggie? :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 14:47:48 »
Will co.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:32:49 »
and is it any wonder that a newbie's enthusiasm can wain if they're only allowed to start in March - right before weed growing season!

Strewth!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:11 »
I must admit I cannot understand this attitude. If the current owner is willing to surrender his plot(s), on our site the secretary can act within an agreed timescale, and reletting of the plot is by mutual agreement.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 10:09:46 »
Jobsworths, probably never even seen a allotment, probably all to him is a location on a map.
I am fortunate that our allotments are church owned, i know we dont have running water ect that council provide, but at least when a patchis available they get it sorted at the weekly meeting.

feel for you but hang in there, as usuall there is great help and advice from the forum, good job people.
regards
steve
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 21:57:12 »
Asking about, it seems there is no Allotment committee as such. The local parish council decides all!!! Joy of joys, there is a meeting on Wednesday I see. (note on door of office). I intend to attend,(although I'm told the public don't usually) and ask some questions- very politely of course! Wish me luck :-\.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 21:59:26 by Emagggie »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 22:07:34 »
 8)

Ooooh lots of luck Maggie! Don't forget to take a file with you (even if there is nothing in it yet!) and don't forget not to take NO for an answer. If the result of Wednesday is not the one you want, just carry on with SSprouts mistress plan!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 07:29:56 »
Don't forget to take a file with you (even if there is nothing in it yet!)
katy you are in a league of your own! (curtsy) ;D ;D ;D

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 18:07:20 »
He who must be obeyed (Council chappie)was approached and said that because there is a waiting list of 6 they (would be plotties) will be offered first crack BUT NOT 'TILL MARCH 07.

we have the same problem on our site - one plot per person. a good way round it is to put yourself on the waiting list under someone elses name, usually a partners. quite a few people have more than one plot, and they're well kept.

good luck with the battle of the big wigs. loads of us are watching and we're right behind you. x

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 23:49:48 »
Called in to see Clerk of Plots today to check facts. He tells a completely different story!!Says he will let plots out anytime there is one free but if paid-up plotties who don't tend their plots wont reply to his correspondence (re. do they want to continue) there is nothing he can do till the year end.The waiting list has jumped to 10 now (in the space of a week, but I suppose this could be possible).I cannot personally ask questions at any meeting because I live outside the parish (by 3 houses but I suppose one has to draw the line somewhere!)Tonights meeting was about interviewing a councillor,so was not open to the public anyway.
So all in all it's a dead duck  ::).
I did mention about having an allotment committee and he seemed to think it was a good idea,and that was one way of getting things done,so I'll plod on with that for now.
Thank you all for your support, it is very much appreciated.Hopefully now people are aware that some of us are interested in how things are proccesed they will sit up and take notice. I still think we should have a voice as allotment holders in our own right at these meetings and not have to rely on a local councillor to speak for us (regardless of where we live!) What information I have gleaned from all you lovely folk will be grist to the mill in the future. Onwards and upwards.
Thanks once again. Maggie. ;)

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 07:01:27 »
I know it's been a while since this topic was raised, and just wondered how you were getting on.

What about getting the local paper involved?  Public opinion can be great at pressuring councils/committees/jobsworths etc. into action. 

Good luck and hope it's going well.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 20:27:30 »
Well, Shas, nothing much except all bar two (really ancients, so they are excused)of the lottie holders I have spoken to are in favour of having our own commitee, so that is rumbling along. I now know that we have a represenative........but yet to meet him.
The lottie that was given up is stilluntouched! So much for instantly reletting it. Now the plot next but one from me is up for grabs,but not till the lease runs out  IN MARCH again.!!!!!
Been a busy season for us in the garment business so I have not been up as much as I would like recently. Hopefully for me I will have more time come the end of October and every one will be digging like mad so I will see a few more faces and get a few more opinions.I think I need guidance on the commitee forming thing as I have never been involved to this extent before, and I have to remember my place..(out of Parish) ;D ;D
Thankyou for asking.
Maggie.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 19:23:33 »
Can you not ask the plottie to keep it in his name but you maintain it on his/her behalf ?
Little bit sneaky but SO WHAT !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 21:21:13 »
Good idea in theory, Travman, but this is a fairly small village and most people seem to be related to each other so there is no hiding place. ::)
 The latest gossip is that because there is a waiting list all 10 rod plots will now be let as 2  5rod plots !!!Don't know how true this is though.
I'm there tomorrow so no doubt someone will tell me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal