Author Topic: Where to start??  (Read 952 times)

Lisa5

Where to start??
« on: June 27, 2006, 14:48:48 »
My hubby put my name down on the local council waiting list for an allotment last year.  I've just been told that I am top of the list and notices have been issued on a few plots so I could have an allotment very soon.

This is great except I am now 7 months pregnant so can't do too much hard work digging etc.  My thoughts were to get parents and hubby to help clear the plot this year and put some membrane down then start planting early next year, does that seem reasonable?   Is it worth putting manure down once it's cleared so I'm ready to go next year?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lisa

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
Re: Where to start??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 15:31:20 »
Hi, There is advice re: clearing new plots in the 'wiki' above. We didn't use membrane when we cleared our new plot over the winter. We just took it bit by bit and as we cleared it planted stuff in. Extra early potato's and salad veg went under home made plastic cloches in Feb and March!!! but did OK. A lot of people on our allotment do clear a part and then cover with pastic etc but I suppose its down to your own personal circumstances and preferences---GOOD LUCK

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal