Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1132 times)

Digger_07

• Not So New ...
Where to start?
« on: June 18, 2006, 23:13:52 »
I have just taken on a new plot which has been very neglected. Although not new to allotments I have never had one as bad as this so would like to ask for any tips or ideas to make life a little easier.

I am not happy to use chemicals. I know it will take some time but I do want to see something growing that I have not inherited.

Any help would be appreciated.

???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:54:01 »
Hi digger and welcome to the forum ;D
We've all been there!
This forum has a digest of wisdom from the great and good ::) in an online encyclopaedia - the 'wiki'.
If you click on the 'wiki' button at the top of the page (third from the right), click on 'methods of cultivation', you'll find the advice you're after in 'clearing a new plot'.
At this stage of the year, I'd probably cut the weeds down, cover the lot in permeable black plastic, mark out the paths so I didn't tread on next year's growing areas, and plant through the plastic in the growing areas - e.g. toms, squash, leeks, spuds. Then tackle the 'proper' ground preparation one small bit at a time as you normally would :)
I took my neglected plot on in May last year - it was the worst I'd had too - and it's amazing the difference a year makes. Good luck digger :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:45:31 »
My first allotment: neglected and full of tussocky grass, nettles, bindweed, couch, creeping buttercup etc. I'm a fan of little by little digging and weeding and planting as I go, while strimming the rest of the plot to keep it flat. I put the perennial weeds into sacks to rot down and compost the rest. It takes a long time to get round the whole plot but it's very encouraging to see beds of veg springing up behind you. It is so productive now that we can't keep up with it.

My second allotment: started in late May in a tussocky grass field. I'm experimenting with two methods - the steady digging and planting as above (soon to contain leeks), and lasagna beds. These are layers of wet newspaper, wet cardboard, wilted comfrey, turves from the digging area, manure, compost, soil (from first allotment) and anything else I can find. Again, I am filling them with plants as I go (tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes and corn so far). In my case the beds are long and narrow, with paths made of cardboard and woodshavings. Time will tell whether or not the grass will come up through the beds and paths, but devotees of the method seem to be very enthusiastic, and the results so far are much faster than the digging.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:47:09 »
Do you have a picture artichoke? ::)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:12:23 »
Sorry, undergoing training, but can't do pictures yet!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal