Author Topic: Chicken feeding  (Read 2203 times)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
Chicken feeding
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:03:02 »
Does anybody know if it is right to give Kefir grains to chickens?
I use the grains for more than 20 years, making milk and yoghurt myself. It is very tasty and healthy. F.i. children with acne use the milk for a time and the problem is gone etc etc. I make 4 liter a day and give a lot graines away to people who wants to start with it but sometimes I have to many graines.
Chicken eat yoghurt  dont they?? So can they have the granes as well?
What do you think????

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Chicken feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:35:36 »
usually chickens wont eat things that are bad for them - so i cant see why you cant try it.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 23:15:05 »
Chickens do get feed the bio yoget when they are sick  and cannot eat also used for kitten and puppies as well as older ones.
Reading up on it, it seems to have a lot of calicum in it which may not be too good in large amounts.
So I would say try small amounts,
I would also contact your local vets they may be interested in sum to give to sick animals or send  people to you for some in stead of sending them to tesco's.
OliveOil is right they do just about eat anything strange how they know what they cannot eat.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 07:54:32 »
Teresa - the only probs i have with my hens is bloomin elastic bands!  The first week i had my chooks, one of the gobbled one up, the next day she found another but i managed to grab it off her. Then as 6am this morning i saw a big cuffuffle with my big speckledy running round with a big red laccy band in her mouth and the other 2 trying to steal it from her, so me in slippers and pjs had to join in running round like a loon trying to grab this band before she gobbled it up! Luckily i was successful!  I still have no idea where these bands are coming from but the hens always manage to find them.

Lady cosmos i have a poorly hen at the moment i would be interested in some grains if you have any spare!

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 13:17:18 »
Around here the postmen use red elastic bands to keep their letters etc organised, as they pull them off to start a new bundle of letters they chuck the elastic bands on the floor, I see hundreds of them all over the place.  If the ones your chooks are finding are red I'd bet they are from the postmen, the chooks probably think they are nice juicy worms. ::)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 14:10:35 »
I thought to blame the postie too!

My cockerel Dennis did the exact same thing when he picked up an elastic band...ran around like a mad thing with my son chasing him and the girls in hot persuit!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal