Author Topic: Peppadew seeds wanted...  (Read 1876 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Peppadew seeds wanted...
« on: February 19, 2006, 20:49:59 »
...to satisfy craving after eating a whole jar of these irresistable little beauties. I've searched, I've Googled, but no-one seems to supply them seeds. I believe they're native to South Africa.

Please help... cheese & onion crisps are SUCH a poor substitute (sob!)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Peppadew seeds wanted...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 23:05:16 »
With a global trademark and growing license on them I doubt they'll be available as seeds. I'll try my South African contact and see if they know how to snag a couple of fresh peppers, but even then, the recipe for pickling them is secret.

This was posted on another forum
"Donal, you are wrong about the peppadew it was cultivated right here in South-Africa and has nothing to do with the Hungarian cherry pepper. It is very hard to obtain.People have been seen removing the seeds from bird droppings around the farms in Messina in Gauteng province.One of the best peppers in the world for pizza toppings i might add.I tried growing the seeds i found in the jars but to no avail.Still trying to odtain some and i am right here in ZA. "
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 23:09:55 by djbrenton »

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 00:49:03 »
Many thanks DJ. I knew they were hard to come by, but it's like trying to find the recipe for Coca Cola!

I'd just like to try growing them - by all accounts they're just as nice raw as they are pickled and, like cherry tomatoes, a handy salad-size!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:00:59 »
http://www.seeds-by-size.co.uk/index.htm
You could try telephoning this chap....he's very helpful and I'm sure could point you in the right direction ;D Let us know if you have any luck.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:35 »
The problem is that neither he nor anyone else is allowed to sell them as the particular variety of piquante pepper is trademarked and may only be grown under license. The only way of getting any will be by underhand methods from the growing area. All the peppers grown are processed and none are sold fresh or dried.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal