Author Topic: When......................................  (Read 4207 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: When......................................
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 16:27:27 »
Joy Larkcom also says late winter = February. Must be right then  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 23:13:28 »
February it is then....

I think I will start some toms of shortly, and chillis and aubergines of course, then in feb I will start my first batch of courgettes, broadbeans, peas and lettuce, and travel upwards and onwards from there!  ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 08:48:16 »
I'm going to start with some broad beans, lettuce, peas, rocket as recommended amongst other things by Joy L for January " sow under cover (mild areas only)" which I reckon Wales definitely is, although I'm not so sure about Essex Emma. Have lived in Norfolk and remember those cold easterlies    :(
Will probably also get a few brassicas going. Very keen to start - but was much too early last year with toms and things so am trying to be more patient. Globe artichokes and aubs on the list for February. Only got a small cold frame on my balcony and 2 window ledges so growing on is a problem.
Love the anticipation of this time of year.  ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 17:54:53 »
Never having done this before, ... when you sow toms chillis and aubs this early do you just use a window cill or do they get put in the airing cupboard?

Think I might have to find a Joy Larkcom book!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 19:27:09 »
Never having done this before, ... when you sow toms chillis and aubs this early do you just use a window cill or do they get put in the airing cupboard?

Think I might have to find a Joy Larkcom book!

I have to say as a beginner, the book "Grow your own vegetables" by Joy Larkham a bible (along with some war time books of my grandfather (who I sadly never knew))  The JL book is currently £6.99 (30% off) on Amazon (+ possibly postage) or £7.49 on play.com with free P&P

mat

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 20:53:19 »
I'm planning on sticking my head out the door of the shed aound late Feb to see if it's worth starting then, because "I have a cunning plan".  I'm going to be using 3 Easy Tunnel  PolyCloches, and loads of pop bottles as mini cloches,  so hopefully they will give me a bit of a head start on the season. ;D

Btw I've ordered my copy of Joy Larkcom's "Grow your own Veg" from WHSmith online for £6.99, and you can pick up from a local WHSmiths store, saving P&P.  I go past mine every Monday, so it'll be no trouble for me. Worth considering if there's a local WHS  :D

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 16:59:41 »
Thanks for the book tip chaps, will be checking out Smiths in the morning  :)

Only one left, so I bought it.   ;D  It will certainly keep me quiet!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 14:32:27 by flowerlady »
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal