Author Topic: Priorities: Tea, seating and tools  (Read 5343 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Priorities: Tea, seating and tools
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 15:00:22 »
Essentials are Rake, Spade, Fork, Somewhee to sit and somewhere to keep a few beers cold. Also a small portable camping stove for a cuppa.

The_Snail

Hoe yes I forgot a hoe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 15:02:16 by the_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 17:51:21 »
Cutting Slugs in HALF!!! :o :o :-\

Umm, I hate killing anything (yes, really, I am squeamish if I even have to swat a fly) so the thought of physically killing slugs fills me with dread.  Years back, it took me ages to be able to remove dead mice frm the wooden spring type of traps... perhaps by next year I can cut a slug in half...   :-\  I am aiming to use slug pellets in traps (so as to avoid birds eating the slugs) plus nemaslug

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 18:18:45 »
What the best way of cutting a slug in half?  Lengthways or straight across?  ;) ;D

I'll get me coat...

To keep this post on topic, if you keep an eye on Lidls, they'll be selling fork + spades with T handles for about £7.99 and rakes + hos for £3.99 each in the next couple of month.  Well, that's what a spotty faced,  12 year old twerp told me when I enquired.:-\
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 18:27:26 by MutantHobbit »
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 18:46:26 »
You will definitely need a rake ...Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 20:42:00 »
I think Wilko's offer similar prices Mutant ... I know they are extremely competitive ...

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 20:59:15 »
Dave, I've bookmarked that Kelly Kettle site - been looking for one in the hope that Santa will pay a return visit before Spring

In addition to all of the above we also keep gardener's soap (rough bits in it - pressie from d-in-law), swarfega type stuff, nailbrush, towel and rolls of paper towels. brush and comb, change of trousers (because of mud not "accidents"!} now that we don't have a car I think I should look presentable on the bus or walking :D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 21:01:25 »
hos for £3.99 each

http://ho.urbanup.com/1239509

I knew Lidl were cheap -but that's ridiculous. Presumeably that coat is a flasher's mac Mutant :)

I'll get my tin hat.

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 21:17:40 »
LOL  ;D  Oops, that should have read "HOES" not "HOs"!!! :-[ 

Now where did I put that dirty mac... ;D

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 17:26:00 »
Kelly kettles seemed a bit expensive so I got one of these:http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3079.html This place is stupid cheap. Got a Swedish army jacket for twenty quid that's like wearing a bear.  ;D
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 17:31:39 »
Welcome back Bupster, you've been missed! ;D 

Last time I looked at the volcano stoves, about a year ago, they were £20!  You're right, they are stupid cheap!  I'll PM a couple of people to let them know about this.  Cheers Bup! ;)

Dave

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:10:46 by MutantHobbit »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2006, 20:06:29 »
When we do a proper session, we take tea or coffee in a flask, plus biccies or cake to eat.  Bottled water in hot weather.  Folding camp chairs to sit on if we're feeling luxurious, otherwise a railway sleeper makes a convenient bench.  I wouldn't dare extend to a stove - I'd spend all my time cooking rather than digging.

I'm a bit of a toolaholic, so I always take far too many bits of kit (we've got an ancient LandRover, so carrying things down to the lottie isn't a problem).  But in all honesty, the basic tools are what one uses 95% of the time - spade, fork, hoe, rake, trowel.  A dibber is pretty well essential at planting time.  I always carry cheap scissors, a sharp knife, and twine.  Secateurs for pruning at the appropriate time.  A wheelbarrow is exceedingly useful, as are those giant trug thingies.  Oh, and a hosepipe (if that counts as a tool).

If you need to make or maintain raised beds, then you need a hammer and saw, too, and maybe a saw-horse of some sort.

Edit:  You also asked about cold frames.  Professionally made ones are wonderful, but very expensive IMO.  I'd suggest home made polytunnel-type cloches, or cold frames made of surplus window frames are very popular (not done this myself, though).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 20:10:11 by Melbourne12 »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 21:00:32 »
Spade, fork, hoe, trowel, dibber. String and stakes/ canes. Labels and pencil/indelible pen. Wheelbarrow and hose. Compost bin(S). Occasional pickaxe, sledgehammer, hammer and nails/ screws. Strimmer or scythe and /or lawnmower.

I never bother with tea or coffee, just take bottled water. Buy beer on the way home.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal