Author Topic: Priorities: Tea, seating and tools  (Read 5345 times)

emma h

• Quarter Acre
Priorities: Tea, seating and tools
« on: January 04, 2006, 13:32:37 »
So what is normal practice at the allotment for having a cuppa? I was thinking of taking my old camping stove down and storing it in the shed..is this usually OK?     I also having some camping chairs and thought a plastic table would suffice.

As far as tools go, I have a spade and fork and a set of children's tools (we are foster parents with 4-6 kids). I also have a scary thing that turns round with prickles on it (A christmas present).  I alos have some gloves, but that is pretty much it. What would be good to invest in now? Particulary I would like to know about cold frames and alternatives, and any other essentials (I am a real newbie to this, don't have much of a garden at home). I have 2 teenage boys who are easily bribed into manual labour ;D

Many thanks
Emma   (I am so excited about our first trip on Sunday ;D ;D)               

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Priorities: Tea, seating and tools
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 13:47:19 »
Yay Emma (such a good name Emma!  ;D)

I take a flask to the plot, but then it is only ever me so my big flask sees me through the day.  In summer, suplimented with cold bottles of drinks.  I drive there, so beer is a no no.  I know some peeps have gas stoves, or light a fire or barby - I think it depends what rules there are on your site.  Some may not like or allow stoves and such....but I can't imagine that....

I have loads of fold up chairs as they are easy to store, and as I don't sit for long as I just plonk my bum down, spot a weed or something and think, ooo, will just get that.....and of course, another hour passes........I don't really want or need comfy chairs!  I don't have a table, I use the tops of my various waterbutts,and I have a couple of large pallets which I plonk on top of my compost heap if I do need a firm surface.

Tools, I have loads, but all I really use is a border fork and spade which are over 50 years old and FAB, perfect size for me, plus a big spade and fork, a hand trowel which I am forever loosing (Note to self Emma, paint the handle bright yellow to help!!), watering can, selections of buckets and trugs for lugging things about, weeding, carrying crops, peeing in!!! and my wheelbarrow.  I do have occasional tools like shears and secaters and what not, but I use them more at home!

Congrats on the new plot.  And just in time for the start of a wonderful growing year!!  Pictures please.  ;D ;D ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 13:52:37 »
One of our past secretaries has it sorted. Not only does he have an aga, dining table with chairs and comfy chairs but he rigged the water supply up to a kitchen sink too!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 13:54:29 »
lol - My OH likes to take the camping stove to make tea, I find it's so much faff and cufuffle that I don't get anything done apart from making tea! For me a large flask (bottled water in summer) and a healthy snack is all I need, I've got a wooden bench seat that I can sit on or I sit in my car or shed if it's cold and windy, you don't want to get too comfortable otherwise you won't get back to working again.

The only tools I use is a spade (large one and a small hand one), fork, gloves, hoe (not used as much as it should be! :-[) and a wheelbarrow. We now have a petrol strimmer for trimming the grass which my OH uses. And I always have a small first aid kit in the shed....and a basin which we call the "potty" for when you just have to go (no toilet on site and I live an inconvenient distance away from the plot).  :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 14:54:07 »
Jesse we have a wee wee bucket too plus bog roll, but the girls won't use it!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a gas stove tis all rigged up in shed with its own gas bottle so its really convenient, fork, rake and a dibber (crow bar), tissues essential coz nose is always running this time of year, gloves, pencil and notepad, tea, coffee, and tin of celebration (chrissy pressy), only two fold up chair at moment but working on that one, and musn't forget my little toaster thingy that you put over the gas ring.

My neighbour is 83 years and he trundles down to plot on his bike every day, sits in his shed drinking tea while all his neighbours, dig and tidy his plot for him, they then sit for much longer than they've worked in his shed (which I swear is a tardis) drinking tea.............................................thats the life eh!!!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 15:38:19 »
I always take a flask of coffee, and have a wood burning barbeque if I need to hot anything up. I have a couple of tins of lager in the shed for those hot summer evenings ... I prefer to sit outsite on my bench, I only sit in the shed if it is raining ...

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 16:03:25 »
Jesse we have a wee wee bucket too plus bog roll, but the girls won't use it!!!!!!!!!!!

lol ...my two love using the potty, sometimes I think they hold onto it when they know we're going to the plot as within minutes of arriving they both need a wee!

I've also got one of those toaster thingy's, I bought it off ebay recently...didn't think of using it at the plot, now that's an idea! :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 16:37:58 »
I've got a gas stove as well, but prefer to use a Kelly Kettle on the allotment.  Reckon it's more eco friendly as I just use small pieces of broken up pallets to fuel it.  Mind you I just like burning things... ;D

On the Po' front, I'm lucky as we've got toilets on site.  :)

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 16:39:54 »
Just realised some people may not know what a Kelly Kettle is, so have found a link.

http://www.kellykettle.com/

There you go.  What a nice chap I am! ;)
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 16:43:29 »
I take my tea down in a flask in winter, in summer I have a charcoal fire burning in a pot bellied stove, I cook and brew on this.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 16:46:50 »
I've only got a log to sit on -and my daughter pushes me off that  :'(

Same tools as everyone else -spade, hoe, fork, hand fork and trowel. Also edging shears for the beds -so I can see where I should be digging  ::) a wheel barrow and a scythe to keep the grass down in the 'orchard' -has been used for beating back the brambles too.

Tea in flask -pee in bushes (compost heap if no-one's looking) :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 16:58:55 »
Oh dear Derbex, grinning embarassedly now....  I used to be able to pop down to my allotment at odd times during the day but it was too far away from home to pop back for a wee, so I used to nip behind the big compost heap next to the hedge and enjoy being alone with nature.

Until I realised that the railway yard the Lotties backed onto had IR security cameras. As it dawned on me (whilst in situ) there was nothing for it but to smile broadly and make like I didn't give a d**n.   

Had to plan a bit more ahead after that.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 17:56:02 »
For some reason I have never got it together to take a chair up to the shed, I use an old railway sleeper as a perch. If its wet or cold I have one of those bits of foam coated in silver film which are normally used to keep car windscreens cool in hot weather (they come in handy for all sorts of things and are available at all good pound shops) I put this between me and the sleeper as waterproof insulation.

I normally take a flask but if I’m feeling gastronomic and want to play with my rambling toys I take a gas Trangia with me to cook things on.

EJ said about tools with yellow handles I thing thats something which is a real time saver, I wound yellow masking tape around mine for the same reason. I always keep a small pair of kitchen scissors with me when working (just to kill slugs with) and one of those L shaped weeding tools, three or four buckets and lots of old 2 ltr plastic bottles.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 18:21:58 »
I inheirited lots of stuff from previous owner, so between my stuff and his have a nice collection of tools, but all I use at the moment are my wheelbarrow (essential for carting weeds to the bonfire) and spade.  Also have a rather lovely old chair with arms and a handy wooden stool (can sit and weed at same time).

Have discovered recently that other essential items are a marker pen and plastic seed labels .... suspect string and wooden stakes are going to become pretty important soon too.

Have my own wc, brick built with wooden door ... too frightened to use it though (think the rats live in there !)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 18:44:44 »
I use a Kelly kettle as well, it's a fabulous device. Nothing like an excuse to sit down and light a fire!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 19:46:06 »
Still use a thermos for tea, but hope to join adventurous brigade with kettle once the NEW SHED arrives. It will be nice to use a bucket in privacy of shed instead of diving between the cabbages. Essential tools (in order) have turned out to be - a pirn of bale binding string, sharp knife, Dutch hoe, sticks and bendy pipes, three prong cultivator, fork, wheelbarrow and tubtrugs.
This was a great thread to set off, I've learned a lot from the replies! Thanks for the plant label idea wardy, will save £££s. ;D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 21:07:01 »
don't worry Wards wee wee always goes on the compost heap :D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 21:27:43 »
Dave, I like that Kelly Kettle,  must try to get one..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 23:39:42 »
I used to use a Primus, but the Kelly is more fun. I don't like camping stoves; having to sleep with one when winter camping to ensure that the gas would evaporate next morning cured me of them forever.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 14:58:24 »
Cutting Slugs in HALF!!!  :o :o  :-\
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal