Author Topic: My Spuds Have Arrived!!!  (Read 6448 times)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
My Spuds Have Arrived!!!
« on: December 17, 2005, 23:53:39 »
Hiya All!

Just a post to let you know I received me Seed Salad  Spuds from T&M this morning.  ;D   Hope this of help to those impatiently w8ting for their spuds to arrive! ;)  Icing on the cake after finding my 2 lottie plots have been rotavated yesterday :D  Just perusing me books to figure out how to store them until March!

Cheerio Folks!
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

terrace max

• Hectare
Re: My Spuds Have Arrived!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 08:48:37 »
Talk about early spuds!

This being T&M however - are you sure they're not the ones you ordered in 2003?!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 08:51:41 »
Definitely early ! Ours are not normally delivered until the beginning of February ...

Derekthefox :D

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:43:42 »
Yeah, I've heard this is unusually efficient of T&M!  :)  Mind you, it was an order for a special offer that I put in through Grow Your Own magazine back in Sunny August.  Maybe they don't want to upset the Editor, with people writing up complaining...   ;)

By the way, I'd heartily recommend G.Y.O. to anyone, especially complete beginners like yours truly!   A brilliant read, almost as good as the forums on A4A!   :D

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 11:47:04 »
Great stuff Mutant!! I'm going to wait to get mine from the potato fair, just hope I don't get so distracted and carried away by going to my first one that I end up forgetting why I'm there.... ::)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 00:10:02 »
Good idea going to the Potato Fair, UC P, though I decided to order my spuds from T&M back in August, as it's my first season as an allotmenteer.  I'm going to Ryton Potato day as I'm a member of HDRA/ Garden Organic, so I can get in on the Saturday.   I'm hoping they've got some Yukon Gold available on the day.  :D   Same as FB, I'm wondering how best to store the potatoes until I can plant them in Feb... ???

Reckon I'll put my spuds  in paper lined trays in the shed under the table out of the light for now.  Shallots are not a problem as I'm just waiting until Wednesday-Saturday to plant them depending on the weather.  Can't wait to christen my plots!!!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 18:17:01 »
yep

mine also turned up last week, I just opened the box had a group hug and then closed the box until next yr

Carl

(i just made sure they where comfortable and cool!)
another member of i forgot my password

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 18:20:29 »
Awww that's so sweet Carloso, strange but sweet... hope I'm doing the right thing Mutant, though imagine the one in Suffolk is a darn site smaller than Ryton, and i takes most of us Suffolk folk about a week after the event to realize there was one anyway.... ::) ;)

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 19:55:18 »
Hey Lottie! you going to the Alder Carr one in feb?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 23:14:29 »
Well I would appreciate a little one, but Ryton gives the impression of being like cup final day at Wembley ...

Not my cup of tea arggghhh

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 23:18:54 »
Mine arrive this morning.  The kids were all excited, but soon walked off disinterested when mummy got all excited about little bags of potatos!  ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 08:07:22 »
Got mine from HDRA/G***** O****** just now. Who cares about the calendar The real New Year starts here!  :) :) :) :)
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:23:38 »
Yes Emma, not exciting stuff for little ones. As long as they dont decide to peel them for you as a treat ...  :o

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 10:05:33 »
I would store them as they came in their cardboard box or  in paper sack in frost proof place...
But be careful if they came in them netting bag things .would'nt leave them in em too long. They are ok for now but as weather warms up check them and see if they have started  chitting, If left in them  too long the chits grow through bag and You break the shoots off getting them out of the netting bags... Jim
Cheers .. Jim

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:21 »
Where have all you peeps who's spuds have arrived ordered them from?  I wasn't expecting mine from King's via lotty assoc to turn up til February
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 10:13:49 »
Our allotment association gets our from a local supplier Wardy, and they come in February too ...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 10:20:55 »
I don't think I'd want em too early.  We got frost up here in the first week of June  :( 
I came, I saw, I composted

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 10:24:34 »
The note in my box says to lay them out in a dark place first until they sprout, then put them into the light...

Never bothered with the dark phase before...do you?

but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 10:26:43 »
Nor me, I didnt think it made any difference ...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 10:30:06 »
But what of montys experiment where he got better results not chitting?  Is this called trolling?

MikeB

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal