Author Topic: A year today.....  (Read 10453 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: A year today.....
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2005, 20:19:50 »
Lottie - there is no need for smelly gum.

Smug? On second thoughts, no. Not really. Just hugely glad that I was able to do it. Because I started at 10 &, during the war, with free cigs, it was the thing to do. One had to have 'a nervous drag' before every operation. Calmed your nerves? Like hell it did. Just the opposite. Just an excuse. Something to hang onto. Same later, when one swallowed down half a cig before going in to a meeting.

There should be no half measures - if you (anyone) REALLY want to chuck it, you can. But so long as you feel that your human rights are threatened, you're lost.

I'm a wimp but, 25 years ago, I stopped while away from home for 5 days. Having done so, I can now smell a smoker 6 feet away, & someone's smoke in the street 50 feet away. And we never now go to a public eating place.

If only one could believe that smoking not only harms others, but is almost certain to bring on terminal or near-terminal bronchitis at too early an age. I just hope that I stopped early enough to give me another 5 years. The family need the pension!

I just so wish that someone could have convinced me in the early days that I would join the queue for out before I wanted to leave. And I so regret fouling up non-smokers' houses with the habit. And habit it is - & one's human right - NOT a need. That's an excuse.

Keep it up Lottie - & you'll even ditch the 'gum -shield' yet!

To be fair - I now drink 50% more - but that doesn't seem to offend anyone.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 08:36:02 by tim »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 21:00:05 »
Tim, you're a tonic!!! And never will you be a wimp....
Gum not smelly, minty fresh...... ;D! But I get your point. When I smoked, I was on the band wagon of it was my right to smoke, I loved it etc, but really, it was because I never thought I'd be able to quit, so pretended that this was what I wanted.
I can say I never smoked near kids, in the same room or anything, so I thought there was no problem. But I have been truly amazed by how the whole family nolonger gets many coughs/colds etc. So it must have come from my clothes, hair etc
I still remember with dread those awful dry coughs that would keep me awake all night, and I'd go downstairs,  sit in the garden, and have a f*g!!!  ::) ::) ::)
But I'm well aware how hard it is. Good thing about the gum.....I have the strongest jaw muscles.... :o :o :o ;)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 21:01:35 »
I gave up 40 a day three & a half years ago, I really don't mind if someone smokes near me, I've smelled far worse things, ex smokers can get really uptight about it but it don't bother me ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 21:22:07 »

My name is Kevin I have an addiction........I have smoked since I was
   thirteen I have tried to stop once.........but my nerves ended up shot
   to bits... I used to smoke 40 a day....now I smoke 2oz of shag a week
   never yet had a cough..

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2005, 21:41:06 »
Well done lottie, I stopped 6 months ago today (1st April), it gets easier, although I know what you mean by the smell of a cigarette.  I still stand next to smokers occasionally just to get a whiff!

MikeB

undercarriage plan

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2005, 22:27:00 »
If only they'd make a perfume...... And Jags, I know hun, is real adiction, hence the gum! Tried patches, eating wood, chewing coal, lip chewing, cleaning everything.....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 00:08:30 »
ooo Good for you Lottie!  Very strong indeedy!  My darling and I gave up some 7 years ago, when we decided to start trying for a baby.  Had to stagger the giving up as we both near killed each other when we stopped at the same time.  However, 7 years on, we still miss it like mad, and when you watch someone on tv take that first drag............hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... I always say, as soon as they put vitamin c in it, I am starting again!

Well done you, keep it up!  And all the rest of yous who have done it.  It can be done, if you really wanna!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 07:33:42 »
Two things to sort.

1. I am not uptight in the usual sense - it's just that my lungs get uptight. They just object the smell. Me too.

2. And I never had a cough on 40+ for decades. But by God I have one now. When the curve of age catches up with the curve of deteriorating  lungs, you soon know about it. (Sorry!)

Trouble was that, in the 30's, no one was without a cigarette. (And cigs then were quite different - they lasted for many minutes, so none of this nervous tapping the ash off every couple of seconds. When you opened a tin, they smelt sweet & moist). It was the norm & there was certainly no stigma. I learnt too late. But can't complain - I'm  luckier than many with health. And we've been through many more threatening situations than bronchitis!!

PS Lottie - I meant the after-taste of nicotine. Or don't you get it?

Whatever, I wish all you triers the best of British!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2005, 08:12:32 »
   ~WELL DONE L-KEEP IT UP  
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

undercarriage plan

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2005, 10:34:39 »
LOL!! Thanks again all!!! I use the minty fresh one, Tim, cos the unminty stuff tastes like you're chewing on a pack of fags!!! When I tried before, I used that, but the taste was so bad, I used to spit it out and have a f*g to get rid of the taste.. ::) ::) ::)!! Same here, Em, OH and I tried to give up together a while back, nearly ended up trampling each other in the rush to get to divorce court!!! So he gave up first, then me!!!  ;D Lottie

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2005, 13:25:57 »
Since my oh gave up you would think he never did smoke he hates the smell, goes mad with me for smoking , tells me to get in the garden ,i want to give up and i will i hope but when i tried last time i felt so spaced  out was horrible ,most try again for my health and the money

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2005, 14:13:13 »
It does get easier eventually - I've done about 25 years now.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2005, 14:36:08 »
i know beejay oh keeps telling me gets easier , but at the time seems so hard , just have to find some good strong will power

undercarriage plan

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2005, 14:46:12 »
There is nothng worse than being made to feel pressurised to give up by someone else, it never works, and just makes you feel crappy. You do it when/if you're ready Dibs, cos you want to. Or, I could put you in OH's cage for bit?  ;) ;D Lottie

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2005, 16:16:20 »
I am very fortunate...I did try a cigarette or three when a youth but didn't really take to it.

What really finished me off (in more ways than one) was the day I arrived home early from school on afternoon (I was about fourteen years old) l decided I would try my step-fathers pipe. I played it safe by sitting in the outside loo puffing away like a good un.. 
I was so ill I couldn't eat my meal that evening and daren't admit the real reason for my serious loss of appetite and green face.

No one told me you 'didn't' inhale when smoking a pipe.. the phrase NEVER AGAIN really meant something to me that day.

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2005, 17:20:05 »
I gave up four years ago when our first born was ...well, born.

In all honesty, I could smoke one happily this minute. Does the attraction ever fade??
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2005, 17:22:08 »
i bet you where green derek  ;D ;D ;D

terrace max dont say that i hope it gets easier as i really must give up

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2005, 17:29:11 »
When I gave up Lots I didn't tell anyone and so it wasn't discussed and no-one drew attention to it so it was easier.  I think you er blew it so to speak  ;D

Unfortunately though since giving up the fags Lottie I have become an alcoholic  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2005, 22:05:57 »
Thought it was compulsory when gave up, Wardy!! I went the opposite way, told the kids. They very sweetly made me a star chart!! I couldn't disappoint them, or lie to them unfortunatley!! Getting over that prob now...... ;D Lottie

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2005, 22:32:21 »
hi all, on the 23NOV it will be 4 years ago when i stopped smoking 25 to 30  a day, the day my granddaughter KACI was born, and the reason why, it was my dad (rest his sole) deid on 3 sept a month earlier and he so wanted to see her born,
It was very hard for me to come to terms with my dads death, but at the sametime having to be happy for my granddaughter's birth, the more i smoked, but kaci smiled at me (probly wind) and i thought this was the time to stop, the longer i can be around for her and my own children,
when times get bad i still wish i smoke but then i think no i made a promise to kaci,
so stick it out
windy
my allotment
heaven

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal