Author Topic: Warning on bark chippings  (Read 3947 times)

joji

• Hectare
Warning on bark chippings
« on: September 27, 2005, 14:35:26 »
I have been warned by other people that if you put down bark chippings containing coconut or cacco bean or any other shells from beans that are used to produce chocolate  they are poisonus to wild life and domestic animals. It can kill them if injested ( eaten ) so becareful what you put down as a mulch :). 2 friends of mine from different parts of the country have lost there dogs after they ate this stuff :'(
It is the smell of chocolate that attracts them to it. The coconut will also be injested and will cause intestinal blockages. Just thought I would let you all know :)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Warning on bark chippings
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 14:49:40 »
Yes a very good point, we put down chippings then had to take them all back up again as our dustbin on legs would have had the lot.

They contain something like phenalomine which is also contained in chocolate and suprisingly tea.  It can cause fits, seizures and unfortunately death.
Best laid plans and all that

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:49:57 »
Yes a very good point, we put down chippings then had to take them all back up again as our dustbin on legs would have had the lot.

They contain something like phenalomine which is also contained in chocolate and suprisingly tea.  It can cause fits, seizures and unfortunately death.

That'll be theobromide.

When I think how much human chocolate we used to give our dog way back when... though never saw any obvious link with him being sick afterwards.  Still, know now (and of course have cat instead!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 22:10:42 »
There is actually a warning on the bag. When I put some cocoa shell mulch down I warned one of the lottie men who brings his dog on site and he was very annoyed with ME. He is supposed to have said dog on a lead.

Rosemary

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 19:13:07 »
On the occasions I take my dog up to the lottie, I put him on a tether.  This goives him the freedom to roam over a large portion of my plot (near where I am working so he does not get lonely) but he cannot stray onto other's.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal