Author Topic: Slug nematodes  (Read 1926 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Slug nematodes
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:50:12 »
Any experience? Do they work? Is it worth it?

I have a huge problem with slugs in my garden. Especially as I don't kill them by hand or poison, etc. But I'm fine if another creature will kill them. I also have heavy clay soil - will they work on that?

And do they affect snails? Or is there anything similar for snails? (They are a big problem for me too.)

Help needed - I lost all but one of my squash/courgette plants this year and I started with about 25 plants.
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Slug nematodes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:25:08 »
Aqui, I tried them one year and didn't notice a huge difference in the population decrease, but then I am on heavy clay too. (though getting better over the years so maybe I should try again!)

My latest try to beat the b*ggers is offcuts of copper piping from a plumber friend around the edges of the beds!  And I do try to get the plants as big as possible before I attempt to plant them out and therefore feed the slimey ones.  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:06:51 »
I tried it a few weeks ago on my clay and can't say I've noticed much of a difference either.  Dobies brassicas getting mauled as we speak, hardly anything survived the slug dinner party for me, not even my onions :'(

I wouldn't bother putting it down now, it only works down to a certain temp and since the wheather is already on the turn I'd save your pennies.  My plan for next year is to try and attract slug/snail eating wildlife to the plot with a pond/bird feeders/hedgehog hibernation houses etc  I'm spending so much money on beer traps and bran its insane.....

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:35:36 »
The nematodes work best in summer as previously said. I don't use them now, I have found that growing some plants on in pots helps to make them stronger against attack, and also areas where I've dug in some sand to my heavy clay soil are less prone to slug damage. I also sprinkle layers of sand in a wide area around the plants I've just put in.

Black Forest Dan

• Quarter Acre
  • who put snow on my breakfast?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 13:23:46 »
We had so many slugs this year it just wasn't funny. I suspect the raised bed is now full of slug eggs (ugh) waiting to burst onto the scene in full strength early next year. I'm going to spend this weekend stripping the remaining summer plants from the bed (leaving the leeks and planting some onion sets, garlic sets and whatever else I feel inspired to try over winter). Does anybody have some more good suggestions how to reduce the slug population when I dig over the bed? Aside from removing any I find, of course. I do have some sand I can mix in, but do you know an effective way to get rid of slug eggs?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 14:08:26 »
I leave mine on the surface and my friendly blackbird enjoys them, best I can offer sorry :(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 15:31:03 »
If I find slug eggs I either stamp on them, pinch between finger and thumb, or blast them with the old weed wizard. I've noticed the birds around here don't seem too enthusiastic about eating slug eggs (spoilt for choice with the neighbours feeding them I suppose) so I don't leave them for the birds any more.
But I do look around edges and under things where the slugs are likely to lay them, and also go over and turn the soil when the weather forecast is for a freeze.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal