Author Topic: Washing Machine Drums  (Read 1876 times)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Washing Machine Drums
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:11:16 »
Thought this tip may be useful to any water-logged gardeners. I dug a great big pit in a boggy area, (Very messy). and got two washing machine drums, and cut the bottom out of one, then wired them together so they made a single deep drum. I placed this in the soggy pit so the top was level with the soil, and filled in the hole around them with as much rubble as I could find, (Plenty). The last touch was to cover the top of the drum with a nice old stone flag I had found that had a drain hole in the middle. The drums filled with water, and when I get round to it I will fit a village pump so I have a well.

Brian

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: Washing Machine Drums
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:40:39 »
What with that and building fires in them... Anybody know a launderette closing down?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Washing Machine Drums
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 20:30:15 »
I've been thinking of doing something like that with a couple of plastic barrels. There's a stream at the bottom of the plot so there would be plenty of water in it when needed. It was dry much of the summer, but the water table can't have been far below the bed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal