Author Topic: Ants  (Read 3777 times)

chriszog

• Half Acre
Ants
« on: April 29, 2005, 16:07:24 »
I was just pushing away a little earth around a couple of my asparagus plants that havnt shown as yet this year and discovered a lot of ants. Is it possible they have killed the plants and does anyone have any advice as to how to rid them without harming the other plants.
Many Thanks
Chriszog

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 19:52:11 »
Oh tell me about it, they are the bane of my life. :(   I get them in the lawn, in pots and nearly every time I go to plant something in the borders I find them.  I don't think they attack the plant or roots, it's just all the disturbance around the roots can cause problems and the plant suffers.  :'(
If there is someone out there who can tell me a good way to get rid of them I'd love to here from them too.

MM

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 20:47:48 »
For an organic cure, try this site.  I've not used the stuff myself but it might be worth a go?

http://www.just-green.com/default.asp

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 21:09:57 »
Hi I heard once that if you put talc down that gets rid of them? or back to boiling water or perhaps diluted Jeyes Fluid that burns maggots.
Teresa

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 21:13:21 »
Hi Teresa.  All those might be good solutions for areas like patios etc but not near plants, I'd venture?  :o
G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 21:15:44 »
That's just what I was going to say Georgie.
And thanks for the site, it looks really interesting, have popped it into my favourites  :)

MM

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 21:19:59 »
Hi MM, long time, no chat.  How's my favourite cat and his Mum?   :)

I discovered that site earier this week and I think their prices are very competetive.  I also like the way they sell stuff in two sizes - thus not fleecing those of us who don't have gardens/lotties the size of Kew Gardens!  It's in my favourites too.   ;D

G xx

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 21:30:53 »
Hi Georgie, it has been a while hasn't.  Oh Merlin is fine thanks, how about your three, enjoying this nice weather.  Merlin found a frog the other day, well he was sitting next to it on the patio and obviously mr frog thought it best not to move.  :o  So I got my little monster in and mr frog jumped into the border. ;D
Yes the prices look good. I was looking at nematodes at the garden centre last weekend and they were £9.99.
I did put a thread on a couple of weeks ago about ants in the lawn but no one came back with any good suggestions but I think you might have found the answer for me.  ;D  Think I will give them a try.

MM

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 21:41:41 »
Oh, my three are fine, thanks, enjoying basking in the sun although Timmy still looks at the ivy forlornly, hoping to catch his wood mouse again.   ::)

I hope you solve your ant problem - let me know how it goes, won't you?

G xx

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 21:45:16 »
I certainly will

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 20:08:30 »
pshaw!
I did put a thread on a couple of weeks ago about ants in the lawn but no one came back with any good suggestions
well!
you are hard to please-i did try to encourage you to count ,if not your ants,then your blessings-at least they arent elephants i said.
i keep them away with scrunched up paper you said.
i forget what i said next.
but i bet it was good.! ;)

anyway--boiling water i think-if you can stand the screams-muhwahaha!
hey-i just had a thought-what about leaving a very thin trail of sugar away from your pots to ,say,compost heap or wherever you dont mind them as much..then leave a substantial heap then they may decide that they no longer need to forage and stay away from your pots! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 20:19:06 »
I might have known you'd see that and I would be in trouble  :'(
kitty I wouldn't mind if they just did the odd bit of foraging but they don't they set up home and breed like b*****y! and in the end the plant suffers.  The number of times I've wondered what is wrong with a plant, removed it from it's pot and low and behold I find ten millions ants, a whole load of eggs and just a bit of compost.  well perhaps not ten million but it seems like it.  :(
Anyway Georgie has given me a brilliant site and I think I might have found a solution to the ants in the lawn problem. :)  still working on the pots.
I don't find nearly as many ants up at the lottie.

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 20:25:42 »
 ;) ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal