Author Topic: Cabbage Blister  (Read 3107 times)

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Cabbage Blister
« on: October 10, 2016, 23:16:32 »
I have just been reading the November issue of Kitchen Garden page 18 on Cabbage Blister. I have this on some of my purple sprouting. It appears to be a fungus but there is no fungicide available for it. Does anyone have any ideas how to tackle it? Any homebrews? Thanks very much.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Cabbage Blister
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:03 »
Apparently it is systemic. That means usual topical 'home brews' like bicarbonate or copper are only worth trying as a preventative.

Here is the RHS advice with some management tips.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=751

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

6sixty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 19:22:59 »
I have this appearing on some of the cabbages :(

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 19:43:03 »
The commercial growers are permitted to spray with BASF Invader* (SEARCH for details)
which apparently is derived from oil of cinnamon.Now do you fancy experimenting with this apparently harmless popular essential oil to determine a crop tolerant rate of application, and, if your crop is sufficiently compromised already, deciding upon the greater of evils. We are happy to share your successes.
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/broccoli/white-blister-disease-vegetable-brassica-crops
*interestingly also approved in Uk for onion & garlic for licenced application.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 22:35:17 »
Had it last year on my Portuguese Cabbage, yet the florets were impressive.  I would not worry about PSB.  I am now removing quite a number of suspect leaves, but the recent new growth is healthy.  I have even harvested leaves recently.  I think it is a case of moisture and ventilation.  Removing dodgy leaves helps airflow.  The other advice is not to grow in the same place in the garden, which is easier said than done with perennial kales.  However the cuttings in a different part of the garden are not affected.  Fingers crossed removing leaves keeps it in check enough.  :wave: 

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 22:23:45 »
Thanks for all the replies! There seem to be several fungus problems this year: blossom end rot on apples, orange spots on pear leaves and now this. As was pointed out, lack of ventilation is a starting point. I don't know if the spores overwinter in the soil like onion white rot. If BASF Invader is also used on onions maybe the garlic powder approach could work? I can't find much on the cinnamon oil idea at the moment, but will look harder!! I also have to research Fungus Fighter Concentrate
containing tebuconazole, and Fungus Clear Ultra containing tritaconazole mentioned by Helen Yemm in The Daily Telegraph Gardening section Saturday 3 Sept 2016.

Thanks again.   

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 22:31:49 »
Just a very quick look tells me I won't be using Fungus Fighter or Fungus Clear on any food crops!!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 14:11:12 »
Just a very quick look tells me I won't be using Fungus Fighter or Fungus Clear on any food crops!!
The RHS lists both but only for ornamentals - you'd have to be crazy to ignore the law that says 'cides' should never be used beyond the manufacturers recommendations. I think it's dangerous to use their "brand new" stuff (translation: not properly tested) even within their recommendations.

I can't think of a clearer example of 'Caveat Emptor'.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal