Author Topic: Jacks Magic compost  (Read 4132 times)

markfield rover

• Hectare
Jacks Magic compost
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:33:09 »
There was a thread a while back asking about this  I was wondering if anyone reached a conclusion ,I have bought some and it does look good, I did Google but only really came up with a certain type of intensive  of"herb" growing I guess they might be quite fussy . Sean on the Hort channel is going to do a trial which will be useful.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Jacks Magic compost
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:52:27 »
I've finally got around to buying a couple of bags of Jack's Magic and it's what I've been using to sow my seeds in so far this year. Like you, it looks good and the general user reports are good. I've also bought a few small bags of other seed composts which I'm going to compare together with Jacks. I guess just to see if there are any differences and if it's worth the extra cost. Look forward to the Hort channel trial.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:46:48 »
Hi Ya, I have been using Jack's Magic for a couple of years and find it better than others as it does not have bits of stick in it etc. I have tried loads of different ones and ended up throwing them on the allotment as they were no use for any thing else. It is a bit more expensive so i do wait till I see it on offer and when I can buy 3 or 4 bags of it. I like using it and will stay with it now unless some thing else comes along. I would be interested in the trial. Where is the hort channel and is there a link to it? when does it start? and a few more questions aswell. Please advise and I again fully recommend Jack's Magic.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:47 »
Trouble is that it is peat based so not good for Vine weevil control .They seem to be less prevalent in peat free stuff. Otherwise I like it more than any of the other peat based ones, seems to be a consistent quality too.
Gardening is the great leveller.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 13:44:43 »
Thanks all ,I like the sea weed part of it too.
 lazelle- The Horticultural Channel is online and youtube, thehorticulturalchannel.info .. I think!
It's run by Sean James Cameron it's mainly from his plot and really is good basic ,sensible info often on a daily basis, well worth a look as is Vivi's bit too.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:46:22 »
Hi Ya, Thanks for the hort channel reference I will have a butchers. I think if you have a vine weevil problem then something is amiss. There are so many controls for them now it should be easy to sterilize the ground. I would go for peat free but if it happens to dry out it takes a lot to moisten it again. I have tried it but no thanks.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 14:57:02 »
Started using Jacks Magic this year and so far love it and my seeds seem to as well. Too soon to see how bigger plants do in it .
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 08:52:45 »
Very grateful for this thread as I had never heard of Jacks Magic before. Bought some yesterday at Wickes with 15% off offer on for Easter

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 09:15:31 »
Thanks crystalmoon need some more and didn't think of Wickes .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal