Author Topic: Polenta  (Read 2204 times)

jesssands

• Acre
Polenta
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:33 »
I saw a recipe on tv ages ago using polenta. I ordered some on an internet shop. When it came I had got the ready made stuff. Its been in the cupboard for ages and this week I tried it... Urgh what revolting stuff it is!!! Had to smother it in piri piri marinade to eat it.
Anyone do anything tasty with it?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Polenta
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:39:42 »
That ready made 'lump' of polenta is not the most flavoursome thing to eat but can be turned into quite acceptable bit of food.
I keep 'lump' it as cupboard item that I use if there is nothing else that I might fancy. Usually I make spicy breadcrumb mixture , cut the lump into fishfinger size strips..roll it couple of times in whisk egg and crumbs to get nice thick coating and then fry them.
Supposed anything will turn edible when it has had spicy crumbs treatment... :drunken_smilie:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:56:23 »
Not eating wheat I had hoped that polenta would be good altlernative.  Personally I think it is best used to keep the wallpaper up.   

Can be made passable with copious amounts of cheese,  and herbs etc etc.   I think of it more as a thickener with the polenta as only 1/4 of the ingredients.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 16:30:50 »
I've eaten this stuff in Italy where it's a staple winter food and even when they cook it it's disgusting - nasty texture and worse taste.  No redeeming features.   

American cornbread is also made from corn but is a better bet for people with gluten intolerance tho I find that needs spicing up too with chillies or onions or both in the mix.   Good served with a spicy soup or chilli but not with anything bland.

Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 16:51:13 »
We have a Zimbabwean living with us at the moment and he loves to cook himself what he calls "pap", I think. To me it's just like a big lump of tasteless polenta or semolina (when I googled it called it African polenta) but it was a staple back home for him. I guess it's whatever you're used to!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 16:53:18 by caroline7758 »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 17:29:00 »
It's a staple for many southern, central and eastern Africans.  Also called mealy meal and yes, pappy.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 17:59:35 »
It's useful to put under a pizza when cooking, helps give a nice texture to the base. Just chuck a handful on the tray, after bit of oil.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal