Author Topic: red cabbage recipes  (Read 2067 times)

RowenaBland

• Not So New ...
red cabbage recipes
« on: January 12, 2013, 20:52:16 »
Does anyone have some good recipes for red cabbage, pickled or braised? Thanks

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: red cabbage recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 21:24:42 »
Can't do links so here's the one posted by Jayb a couple of years back.  Its delish.

Here we go

1 small to medium red cabbage
3 onions
Large blob of butter (it wouldn't repeat k**b of butter!)
2-3 cloves of garlic
About a 1lb of cooking apples
1/2 an orange
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of Demerara sugar
Salt and black pepper
Bay leaf (optional)
¼ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ground cloves and freshly grated nutmeg.

In a large casserole dish with a lid add;
Finely shredded cabbage
Peel the onions cut in ½ and then finely slice.
Peel and core the apples before slicing thinly
orange zest and 1 tablespoon of juice
Crush the garlic
Vinegar, sugar, Bay leaf (optional) spices, salt and pepper.

Mix thoroughly and dot the butter over the top of the mixture. 
On with the lid and into a fairly low oven about 150C for approx  1¾ -2 hours. Stir once or twice during cooking, the mixture does start to sog down.
The cabbage should be soft and the vinegar and other ingredients combined to make a slightly sweet spicy juice which just coats the cabbage etc giving it a lovely almost glossy sheen.

Lots of variations too, adding mixed fruit,  or finely chopped Chorizo, I prefer using balsamic vinegar and reducing the sugar a bit, also I sometimes add Crab apple jelly to sweeten instead. A hint of chilly brings an extra depth

Mum thinks it was a Delia recipe, though I don't know how much she has altered it

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 23:15:31 »
This is the easiest and tastiest Red Cabbage recipe to pass my lips thanks to my German Dad.

The 3 main ingredients for flavour are.................

""say what"" I hear you shout,!!!!     OKOK youll only get it from your local German Deli but this Belly pork has a really lovely smokey flavour

Cut some slices from the belly pork lump and cut them into small lardons,then add them to a preheated frying pan with a drop of oil.

Render them down,the fatty part will melt into the pan,just crisp them off a bit.

2nd ingredient is Juniper berries.

Add about a dozen cracked dried berries to the pan

3rd item is Caraway seeds.

Add 1 tsp of seeds to the hot pan,and fry off for a min.

Once these 3 base things are cooked off you add 100ml of red wine vinegar to the pan and bring to the boil then reduce the heat.

I then add 1 small red onion chopped and 1 chopped apple.

Lastly you then add the Red Cabbage(mine is plain brine jarred from the plot)

Stir all the pan contents together and put the pan lid on and let it steam /braise for about 30 mins to let the flavours combine.

During the cooking process keep checking the pan,if its too dry you can add apple juice/or water to keep it moist.

Itsa winner with sausages/chops/Bacon joints

Im not a fan of sweet red cabbage so dont add sugar or honey as Dad did,  I do add a tsp of honey to a bowl of cooked cabbage at the end  and it seems to keep Jude happy  !!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

Gazza
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 23:19:22 by gazza1960 »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:58:21 »
Sweet and sour red cabbage salad

Excellent for large groups of people and served with roast or BBQ'd chicken and pork.  Good also for snack attacks when on a diet.  Keep well in the fridge for days.

250g / 8oz   red cabbage, shredded
430g / 15oz tin    red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
125g / 4oz   radishes, sliced
1   small red onion, sliced thinly
1   red bell pepper, cored and diced
200g / 7oz   beetroot, cooked and cut into strips

Dressing:-

4 tbs   red wine vinegar (I sometimes use half and half balsamic)
4 tbs   soft brown sugar
2 tbs   light soy sauce
2 tbs   sunflower, safflower or grapeseed oil

Cover the cabbage with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes without further heat.  Drain well.
Combine all the salad ingredients.
Combine all the dressing ingredients and taste for seasoning.   You may want to adjust the vinegar levels.
Toss the salad in the dressing and serve.   The salad benefits from being left to marinate an hour or two before serving.   

Enjoy.
Obxx - Vendée France

RowenaBland

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:31:06 »
Thanks for that everyone. Lottie Lou I will try your recipe with Sunday dinner today!

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 17:55:48 »
We always have red cabbage with the roast duck for Christmas dinner. It's also good with toad in the hole and bangers and mash. You need some acid in the cooking to keep it bright red- apples, wine, vinegar etc. I preserved some Seville oranges in salt last Spring and I chop up a small quantity instead of adding salt. The orange flavour works well. You need spices and cured meats are good additions if there is no other meat on the plate. I pop some smoked paprika in as an alternative to smoked meats.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal