Author Topic: COOKING ACIDY FOOD IN TEFLON COATED PAN  (Read 1518 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
COOKING ACIDY FOOD IN TEFLON COATED PAN
« on: January 09, 2013, 17:07:51 »
Is it safe to cook acidy types of food (want to make pork & rhubarb casserole) in teflon coated pan.  Want to use my slow cooker rather than in the oven as it takes ages but read somewhere not to use teflon coated pans due to possible leaching?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: COOKING ACIDY FOOD IN TEFLON COATED PAN
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:14:56 »
It's perfectly safe!  There's no concern about the coating dissolving in acid or alkaline foods.

As far as I am aware, the Daily Mail scares about Teflon and similar non stick coatings revolve around:

• The coating may flake off if you stir the pan roughly with a metal implement, so you'll actually eat it.
  • One of the chemicals used in the bonding, and traces of which remain under the coating, is carcinogenic and may be released if the pan boils dry and overheats.

On the first scare, since Teflon is extremely stable, it'll not do any harm even if you do swallow it.  And surely no-one would buy an expensive Teflon pan and then be so careless as to scratch the surface off with a metal spoon or spatula!

On the second, if a pan overheats and starts to smoke, don't breathe the fumes!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: COOKING ACIDY FOOD IN TEFLON COATED PAN
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:07:00 »
Thank you very much Melourne 12.  I scoured the internet for info but could not find anything about leaching and also wrote to the manufacturers of my slow cooker.

nd surely no-one would buy an expensive Teflon pan and then be so careless as to scratch the surface off with a metal spoon or spatula!

Sadly I am one of the people who come into that category

May

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal