Author Topic: A lanky Blueberry  (Read 2273 times)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
A lanky Blueberry
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:19:47 »
Hi all,

I have two Blueberry bushes at the moment and one is fine, nice and compact etc with lots of branches shooting off in the right places. the second one however is really 'lanky'. What I mean is that the stem is long and thin (about pencil thick), about two foot long from the soil, before any branches start jutting out.

I'm a bit worried about it snapping with the hellish winds etc that we get here - just wondering if anyone had any advice?

I thought about pruning it back obviously, but there doesn't appear to be any nodules further down where new branches would form - so I would just be left with a Blueberry stick!...

If I replanted it, but deeper, so that part of the stem was buried, would that be a potential solution? - or should I just leave it and stake it up for support?

thanks in advance
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: A lanky Blueberry
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 14:08:20 »
Oh..don't go snapping any growth in a hurry.
First..are they both same variety...as some varieties are short and bushy and other do grow quite tall. Those taller varieties do produce what you call lanky, pencil thick branches that will branch out even more after their first year.
You don't have to worry about them snapping off because fo the rough weather..the can take it.
When you say there is not 'nodules'..that sounds just like new branch..first year they grow almost like 'cane' like 'stick'.
With out seing you plant...I suspect its different, taller variety and growth typical to those blueberries.
You can leave it be and it will produce good crop of berries for you. Don't bury it..nor it should need support..but once in leaf and if the weight pulls it down, you could give it temperary support with cane.
If you plant start over shadowing the smaller one..you might have to think of moving one to give other more room..in that case I would move the smaller one.
Have you got name labels for them?

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 19:36:02 »
Hi Goodlife,

many thanks, what a wonderful concise answer!

Unfortunately I don't know the varieties. I bought one and was given one, they're both two years old and both managed to produce a few berries last year. The berries looked and tasted the same, but of course they may well and probably are different varieties. I just hadn't seen one before that tall and leggy looking. I'll just leave it and see how it gets on for now then.

ta very much for the advice :)
sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 22:55:30 »
Hi Sheddie, blueberries are odd things.. They should never be pruned till at least three years old

Look at the tips of your branches this is where they will grow new growth and is what the fruit grows on,you should be able to see a wee bulge at the end of  last years growth so never prune that off.

Pruning is usually done at this time of the year when the bushes are old enough but only if needed and then really only to remove a odd growing branch eg one crossing over or a damaged one etc, beyond that you don't really need to bother much at all. Once the bush is very established you can prune it to keep it smaller of you wish.

New branches will grow low down where the stem is,

To get good harvest you do need two types, if you don't know what they are you are at a disadvantage I would be tempted to buy two more differnt to each other to each other and blend the 4 together if you have room, your harvest should be good then.

Do you have them in the ground or in pots. Are you feeding them anything, they need acid soil and acid feed so if you are feeding them the same stuff you would be giving most things it is the opposite of what they want.

I had 10 bushes on my Uk lottie that were not doing well compared to the ones I had grown in Canada where I had grown them for years,my soil was clay and chalky there so  I potted them in acid soil and they picked up straight away. You can grow them in regular soil but feed them acid fertilser.

Some are definately thinner branched than others as Goodlife said but they should still make good strong plants eventually if given what they need.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:21:08 »
Hi Jeannine,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. At the moment, the two plants I have are in the ground, just in my home garden. I've only got a half plot at the lotty at the moment, so space a bit limited, but I'm hoping I'll be getting a full plot by April. Long story, but we have 3 full plots not being worked and the lotty secretary is doing his best to get at least one of them to admit defeat so I can get a full plot.

Hopefully, if the grand plan comes together, I'll be moving the blueberries up to the lotty and will take your advice about getting two others. I'm a huge fan of blueberries and the kids love them too, so its one thing i don't mind forking out for!

;D
sheddie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal