Author Topic: Ever tried drying herbs....  (Read 1085 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Ever tried drying herbs....
« on: August 13, 2011, 22:36:42 »
|Most people have many herbs that go to waste in harsh winters... So why not dry or freeze for a rainy day.

For drying I tie the herbs in small bunches and have a line of string with about 8 bunches on. Tie loops in both ends and then I hook it onto 2 nails which are on an overhanging plank over my chest type deep freeze in my garage. There is a continious warm air flow coming up from behind the freezer so the positioning over this causes the herbs to dry evenly and a bit quicker than normal. Just had used some Marjorum with my mushrooms tonight and v tasty. I have done Basil, Marjorum, Thyme and Rosemary. Just strip the leaves off the stalks and bottle.. Keep your old spice bottles for this..

I also freeze a lot. Just place herb leaves on a tray in the freezer for a few days and then filled plastic tupperwares for storing in the freezer... Dont bother to cut the leaves... just as they are and when you use them just crush a few as they are frozen and break easily.. I did this in case the frost kills my plants !!

I love trying new things...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Ever tried drying herbs....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 23:06:42 »
Yes. I prefer to freeze them as it seems to preserve the flavour better but dry them too. I often do ice-cube trays of chopped herbs which are then transferred to poly bags for storage. Really easy to add to stews, curries etc. I don't freeze or dry rosemary since it is always available on my rosemary bush - right through the winter.

About to gather seed from coriander.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 23:44:28 by grawrc »

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 23:32:26 »
My bay tree died over winter, so rather than waste the dead leaves I cut them all off, made sure they were dry and stuffed them in a jar. They are far tastier and stronger than the live leaves ever were.....when I replace the tree I will use the leaves dried in future. For frozen parsley, thyme and sage, I don't even bother to spread them on trays - just freeze in poly bags and then scrunch up, voila parsley flakes!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:48 »
All so easy and practical....
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal