Author Topic: cucumbers  (Read 2002 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
cucumbers
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:02:59 »
I noticed yesterday that 2 of my 4 cucumbers have considerably wilted. They were all doing really well...would it have been too hot/cold in the greenhouse fot them. I think they were inside/outside cucs but wd have to check. They have enough water and had flowers and 2 of them have small fruits on.

petengade

• Acre
Re: cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:14 »
Had the same trouble, bought four seeds for £5 all germinated and were lovely plants, planted them in the greenhouse with a inverted bottle beside them for watering, three wilted and died turned out to be stem rot, tried to get Cheshunt treatment for the replacements, turnes out they only sell to the trade now, replacement plants doing OK, must have been sprayed by the nursery against stem rot.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:20:33 »
Aside from rot, Spud, what type are they, how tall are they, what are they in & how much water do you give them?

Oh, and what size 'house, has it been shut up in hot sun &  how many fruits did they have?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:28:01 by tim »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:15 »
Hi
I had exactly the same thing happen with my melons they were fine in small pots in the GH but as soon as i planted them out i lost most of them. I think its the overnight temps and contact with cold soil. My cukes are fine though becuase iplanted them in april and they romped away

On the plus side i do have a glut of crystal lemon cukes plants so if either of you would like a couple you are welcome just pm me.

x sunloving

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:52 »
But you put them outside? We're getting confused here with some Under Glass posts.

Were they fully hardened off?

Were the roots filling the pots??

= Tim

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 21:04:06 »
Did you plant your cucumbers on a mound above ground level if not then the
first thing to do is have a look at the base of the plants stem to see if it has stem rot.
Letting fuit grow to low on the plant does not allow it to get established

If its not stem rot then it could be temperature fluxuation or if your cucumbers are near the door of the greenhouse and in a draft as cucumbers like humidity not ventilation
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 05:27:25 »
Thanks for your repilies. Sorry if I wasn't very clear. Okay they are in the green house, not outside but I've got a feeling that it said on the pkt that you could plant them outside so I thought they'd at least be ok in the grrenhouse They had been in my daughter's attic bedroom until then.
They are about 2 ft high, in 10 inch pots, in good quality compost. I wonder about the discrpancy in day/night temps now...either that or perhaps I've overwatered (I watered them alot as thought cucs are made up largely of water)

That's very generous sunloving..I will go and check on how thye are doing today and if I need to take up your offerr, will PM you.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 16:39:14 »
One of ours has died, the stem has gone very hard, dessicated almost, this is in the poly. I was offered a replacement which I planted, turns out it's a squash or courgette, no variety or anything  ;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 16:51:58 »
cukes need to be planted with the stem level above the soil or they get wilt and die i always plant mine 2" above the ground and since doing that i havent lost one.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal